Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media Center Edition.

• Please log in to reply

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I have set up a Media Center lately:

Whilst setting this up, In the media center wizard, I noticed you can actually install a password on that media center and RDC, but when the computer is switched on, it infact skips login, you have this option. Does anybody know how I can enable this in my Windows XP Pro/Home?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm sorry, you lost me...

Let's simplify, what OS are you using and what do you want to do? the mention of other OSs is confusing me...perhaps I am too tired

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

but when the computer is switched on, it infact skips login, you have this option

Are you saying that on your XP machine, you are faced with a log in prompt window? I'm not quite sure I know what you want to do... but I'll try to guess! :tazz:

To change the way users log on, Open Control Panel, double click on the User Accounts icon. In the Pick a Task window, click on Change the way users log on or off... make sure Use Welcome Screen, and Use Fast User Switching are checked. You may have to restart.

Edited by makai, 16 March 2006 - 05:12 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok, then either you weren't clear or both makai and I are both tired :tazz:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
:tazz: :) :) :)

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Ok, I take it I'm not clear.

On Media center you can have a user with a password set up, but when the system is booted up and comes to the log on screen you can choose the option NOT to put in a password to log on.

Its not too bigger deal, but on my XP Pro Standard box I'd like to remove the password prompt upon logon, but still have a password for programs like Remote Desktop.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Well, see, you've gone and added a new wrinkle with that last part.

First, download power toys for windows xp (google it), then go to LOGON > Autologon.

That will auto log you on without having to stop

Now...the second part...do you mean a password to prevent someone from logging on to your machine or you want to password protect individual programs?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
More wrinkles! :tazz:

I'm going to guess that gerryf specifically means the TweakUI XP Powertoy. You can find it HERE.

Of course, I'm not 100% sure what gerryf meant as it's 4:18 AM here in sunny Ca! Hmmm... sun's not up yet! :)

Edited by makai, 17 March 2006 - 06:19 AM.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Well, see, you've gone and added a new wrinkle with that last part.

First, download power toys for windows xp (google it), then go to LOGON > Autologon.

That will auto log you on without having to stop

Now...the second part...do you mean a password to prevent someone from logging on to your machine or you want to password protect individual programs?

What you said was everything. Thankyou!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
uhm, we just aren't communicating well

the last part I wrote was a question that required an either or, not a YES! answer.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
The windows powertoy "TweakUI" was the program I was looking for, it did the job I needed it to. I wasn't asking for anything else. Just know that you solved my problem.

Thanks.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
:tazz:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts