Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having Problems With Audio On XP Computer

• Please log in to reply

hysteria

hysteria

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hi guys,

Lately, I have had a problem where my videos (mainly mpegs) will not play with sound. And when you do play them, the sound sounds like a glitching sound. It's really annoying; the constant irritating same noise. I have uploaded a short mp3 of what I am hearing when I play videos on the attachment.

When I play .wmv files the sound works fine. However, I have also noticed that my sound has almost degraded since all of this began. It is not as loud as it used to be. I often have to lean in close to my speakers (which are attached to my monitor - and yes I've checked the connection) just to hear anything. My volume on my monitor and my computer are at 100% and it sounds like it's playing at 50-60% of what it would normally be. Am I going crazy and def? I'm not sure.. but I'd really love if you guys could help me to bring back my audio and video situation back to what it originally was -- completely awesome. You guys are the men that know how to do it. I've always come to you guys and you've never failed. Thanks so much in advance.

Sincerely,
Daniel Maloney

Attached Files

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Ok, for starters, have you installed any new Audio drivers or software recently? Because there may be an application you have installed that could possibly be turned down. You said you had your monitor on 100%, have you tried using other speakers with your computer to test the speakers? Double check wireing, also:

Start > Control Panel (I do this often as its easier to see what you want and need) > In the left pane, select "classic view" >
Open Add / Remove Programs, and Sounds and Audio Devices. Check the sound on the audio device in there, then look in Add / Remove programs for any Audio based, newly installed software.

Please reply and tell me if you find anything, or anything else that may clue in what may be the problem.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
You know what, I think I've fixed it. I went to Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel, and I checked the box "Place Volume Icon in Taskbar" and once it appeared I was able to raise the volume! As stupid as that sounds I was wondering where that [bleep] thing went! It disappeared quite a long time ago. Thank you for your help though! :tazz:

-Daniel

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Sam! Come back! I need your help!

I wrote that post really too fast last night. My sound level has fixed, but I totally forgot about the Mpeg audio messing up. And no - I haven't installed any new audio drivers. The last thing that I did install were 3 firewire ports that you guys helped me to configure! And that was a while ago. Would there be any steps into finding out how to fix the Mpeg problem?

thanks,
d

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hello???

I am still having problems with my mpeg audio playing. I still hear that glitching noise.

Mpeg videos do not work with audio in ANY player. But I do notice that when in windows media player it says "Error" with the "Codec."

PLEASE PLEASE!! :) :tazz: :)

-Daniel

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello hysteria.

I'm sorry SuperSam did not get back with you. Apparently they unsubscribed to this topic, so they do not receive a notification when you reply.

Sounds problems eh? Let's see what kind of fixes I can pull outta my magic bag :tazz:

Right-click on My Computer and select Properties. Click on the tab that says Hardware. Now click on Device Manager. Look for any red Xs or exclamation marks. If you see any, double-click on the object it is next to. Click on the Driver tab and then click on Update Driver. Follow the onscreen prompts to install the latest drivers.

If you don't see any red Xs or exclamation marks, click on the + next to the catagory that is called Sound, video and game controllers. You will have to double-click on the one that applies to your sound card. Out of the listed choices, it will NOT be these:

Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Unimodem Full-Duplex Audio Device
Video Codecs

When you find the one that applies to your sound card, double-click on it. Click on the Driver tab and then click on Update Driver. Follow the onscreen prompts to install the latest drivers. If the one you updated is not the right one, try a different one under the Sound, video and game controllers catagory.

You will have to restart your computer after each driver update.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 22 March 2006 - 05:20 PM.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
First of all - thank you for coming to my aid!

Second of all, I followed your instructions and tried to update the drivers that were not the ones that you listed.

Posted Image

I've crossed off the ones that you listed to make it easier for us. I did not have the "Uni" one listed.

The only one that did actually seem to update and make me restart is the Vinyl AC'97. But (if I am remembering correctly) that was something that I installed for Winamp as an equalizer. It was cool - able to add fuzz tones, 1960's tones, around the corner-tones, from your neighbors house tones --- just a cool way to mess with your audio songs. And again that was the only that made me actually restart. The others, when I clicked update, just had the hourglass thing, and then nothing happened. I clicked okay and that was it.

And yes, the ugly noise is still there, and I am still confused. Luckily enough for me, I have you guys!

You guys are extremely talented. I know a bit about computers, but I don't know everything. :)

Thank you :tazz: , and I can't wait to hear for a reply,
Daniel

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You're quite welcome. :tazz:

I'll give you a link to a driver I found, but before I do, I want you check something. Go back into device manager and double-click on the item called CMI8738-C3DX PCI Audio Device. Click on the Driver tab and look at the driver date. If the date is later than 12-Sep-2003, then skip everything I'm about to say. If it is ealier than that, then follow these directions:

Before I give you the driver, let's create a restore point as a precaution.

To create a system restore point, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

A C-Media soundcard eh? I fought with one of those not too long ago. I can't say I won, but I think it was damaged...so I couldn't have fixed it anyway.

Download the C-media driver from: http://www.driverfil...722,290,5,.html

Unzip and install it.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hey man!

I hope you had a good night; I just got back from the Strokes concert. It was way fun :help: .

My driver's date is from November of 2002. So I followed the steps accordingly.

I have made my Restore Point, and I am ready to go :)

However, the link you gave me did not have a direct way to download the file, so I googled
"CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device - 8738w9x1.93acupd.zip" and clicked and downloaded from the second link. I had to sign up and go through all this BS to get it first. It's a 1.91 mb zip with a BUNCH of really random files :whistling: .

I would love to upload the zip for you to look at, but the yousendit.com website is being very fussy and not letting me upload anything right now. I'll have to up it for you tomorrow.

But here is a screenshot (I love these) of the files:

Posted Image

So far I've really gotten nowhere with any of the files in the zip.
I clicked the one .exe file in there that said Setup, and a really basic window popped up giving me 3 options (3 checkable boxes).

Here is a screenshot of that for you, just to show you what I'm seeing.

Posted Image

*Oh you know what I've just typed this whole message out and I've just noticed that the setup says it will only work for Windows 95/98/ and ME. I have XP. So I edited the picture. Anyways ... back to my original message.

I checked the bottom one and clicked "install" ... and nothing happened.
I opened it again and didn't check any boxes and clicked install.. still nothing.
It literally just closes as if you were to click out an internet window: clean and easy.

Maybe I've downloaded the driver zip from a bad source. I mean... it was #2 on google :blink:

I will have some time tomorrow to check back here. Thank you very much for helping me :)

Peace, Love, and Death Metal,
Daniel

Edited by hysteria, 23 March 2006 - 03:33 AM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Arrg...you're right. The download is broken at that site. I shoulda checked. Sorry :whistling:

Looking back on your post, you said the media player complained about the "codecs" not being right. It may not be your sound card causing the problem. So...let's try updating the codecs real quick, and if that doesn't work, we'll return to updating your sound card.

Go back to Device Manager. Under the "Sound, video and game controllers", double-click on Audio Codecs. Click on the Driver tab and then click on Update Driver. Follow the onscreen prompts to install the latest drivers.

If that doesn't work, let's try updating your sound card again. Download the driver from here (this time there should be a working download link):

http://www.soundcard.../258/258686.htm

You have to register at that website in order to download it. Registration is free.

Advertisements

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Arrg...you're right. The download is broken at that site. I shoulda checked. Sorry :whistling:
Looking back on your post, you said the media player complained about the "codecs" not being right. It may not be your sound card causing the problem. So...let's try updating the codecs real quick, and if that doesn't work, we'll return to updating your sound card.

Go back to Device Manager. Under the "Sound, video and game controllers", double-click on Audio Codecs. Click on the Driver tab and then click on Update Driver. Follow the onscreen prompts to install the latest drivers.
If that doesn't work, let's try updating your sound card again. Download the driver from here (this time there should be a working download link):

http://www.soundcard.../258/258686.htm

You have to register at that website in order to download it. Registration is free.

Sorry that I haven't gotten back to you in a few days; I've been very busy.

Updating the driver did not work (again) and updating the sound card hasn't worked either. Only because I believe that the link you gave me is a link that I've already tried and it gives me that really whack zip file with random files (no way to easily install, no simple exe really). And I'm really confused as to what to do.

Is there a different way to get install that driver?

-Dan

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Alrighty then, try this download:

http://www.free-code..._Codec_Pack.htm

It is a complete Audio/Video codec pack. It should be simple to install. If you need any instructions, let me know.

After installing, reboot your computer and see if the audio works.

Normally, I would download it and try it out myself to make sure it is what I think it is, but I am currently on dial-up. If you'd like me to try it out first, wait until tomorrow and I'll download it with someone else's computer. Afterwords, Ill get back with you to let you know all about it.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 28 March 2006 - 08:06 PM.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Thanks man. I actually was able to install the codec pack. Now my Windows Media Player and BSPlayer will play the mpeg's fine. Winamp still makes the loud annoying noise. Windows Media Player still gives me the "Error Downloading Codec" sign at the bottom, but then it plays it after a few seconds okay. The sound in the BSPlayer is all jacked up (to make it okay you have to mess with it's confusing equalizers) -- I never liked that program anyway.

I prefer to use the Winamp program over anything else, is there a way to fix this? You've solved a lot of my problem already, and I hope it's not too much to ask. You're awesome man.

Thank you :whistling:,
Dan

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You're welcome :whistling:

Personally, I'm not that familiar with Winamp, so I may download it and mess around with it. But before I do that, let's try this simple solution and see if it works:

Uninstall Winamp. Download the latest version and then install it.

Winamp download

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Thanks man --

Well I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and that doesn't seem to work.

It plays mp3's great though! :whistling:

Do you think it would have anything to do with the mpeg4 audio stuff?