Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

building a media server.

• Please log in to reply

titan7342

titan7342

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hey guys, I am building a media server that right now I am planning on using for music only. I am using an old PC that has a 1.5 ghz processor and about 384 megs of ram. I figure that this will be enough for right now because it is only a temporary thing till I am finished building my house. When I am done the house I plan to build a server with several 500 gig hd's to hold my music and movies. Anyway I have about 250 cd's and I was wondering if a 80 gig hd would hold all of that music? Also what file format should I copy the cd's on to the hd in, and what program would be best to use for copying and organizing my music files? I will be using alot of high end audio equipment so I am looking for the best possible sound quality. Any suggestions and/or input would be greatly appreciated. Again this is only temporary to see if I like it.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hey guys, I am building a media server that right now I am planning on using for music only. I am using an old PC that has a 1.5 ghz processor and about 384 megs of ram. I figure that this will be enough for right now because it is only a temporary thing till I am finished building my house. When I am done the house I plan to build a server with several 500 gig hd's to hold my music and movies. Anyway I have about 250 cd's and I was wondering if a 80 gig hd would hold all of that music? Also what file format should I copy the cd's on to the hd in, and what program would be best to use for copying and organizing my music files? I will be using alot of high end audio equipment so I am looking for the best possible sound quality. Any suggestions and/or input would be greatly appreciated. Again this is only temporary to see if I like it.

I know that a blank cd-r can hold 750MB. Every cd is different some has few songs some has more, some of the songs are longer or shorter..

so basically I would figure this way just to give you some idea

750MB X 250 (cd's) = 187500. Basically a 200gb harddrive is needed for that many cd's. NO 80 gb is nowhere near enough. You should put the format at mp3. There is many programs to choose from....

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have 9000 songs(around 700 cd's) on 45 gigs. All the songs are in MP3 format. I used Exact Audio Copy with Lame to make the MP3's(free programs). EAC will take some time but the MP3's will be perfect sounding. I record at 160 kbps.

SRX660

titan7342

titan7342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Yeah, I actually just ran them figures myself and came up with that. Thanks JRM20. Well I know that I can get a 320 gb hd right now for about $110 so I guess that is what I will do. Then again who knows maybe I will just splurge now an get the 500 gb hd and have less to spend in the future. Thanks for the help though. When you say there are many programs to choose from can you give me any recommendations? What do you think would be best for an XP machine?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I have 9000 songs(around 700 cd's) on 45 gigs. All the songs are in MP3 format. I used Exact Audio Copy with Lame to make the MP3's(free programs). EAC will take some time but the MP3's will be perfect sounding. I record at 160 kbps.

SRX660

9000 songs but are you shure 700 full length cd's?? on 45 gigs srx660?

Well I might be off abit. I was thinking in terms of cd-r's. I just looked at one of my many folders of music and 20 songs varying was only 120MB so if that helps any. It all depends on what quality level bit rate, format, length of songs..

I would get a 200Gb or greater harddrive because the price for 200-250Gb is so cheap now.

well 20 songs were at 120MB for me at mp3 but they are all different lengths etc... but 20 songs X 8 = about a gb of harddrive space for example (160 songs). These are just quick estimates as songs can be totally different.

my 20 songs that im explaing about almost all were at 192 kbit/s.

Lets just figure to be safe every 1gb of harddrive space can hold 160 songs with good quality..

Edited by jrm20, 16 March 2006 - 07:16 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I made some wav files from a new Kelly Clarkson album i bought and 12 songs came up to 448 MB. The same songs ripped to 160kbps MP3's came to 51 MB. If i had ripped them to 192kbps the 12 songs would have come close to 80 MB. Personally i cannot tell the difference between the wav song or the MP3 song even if i play them on my stereo system.

All i know is that i have just over 9000 MP3's and the files come to 45.3 gigs on my computer.Funny thing is that i still have 30% of my cd collection to record yet. I no longer play my cd collection. They are put away and i use burned cd's for my albums to play at home and in my truck.

Your actually close jrm20, because i get 200 songs per gig. Perhaps this is because of the bit rate.

SRX660

titan7342

titan7342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I just copy 3 cd's a full bit rate and it was in MWA format and it was just over 1 Gb. I am worried about sound quality alot. I have a very high end setup and I want to be able to hear every detail of the music.