Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer Won't search anymore

• Please log in to reply

Shortkayke77

Shortkayke77

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I used to be able to search using the address bar in internet explorer. Now when I type something in the address bar and hit enter it just says "page can not be displayed" Before the msn search engine popped up and would display results of what i could have meant if something was spelled wrong or saying it can't find the page. I've downloaded the google tool bar and the yahoo tool bar. both times i selected use ... as your search engine in IE. and it still doesn't work. Any ideas??? I have IE verson 6.0 thanks!!

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
When you say type something in the address bar, was it the actual place where you type in the url?

Shortkayke77

Shortkayke77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Yes, in the place where i would type any url. For instance when i type www.geekstogo.com it would come to this website, but i could also type "computer help" (with out the quotes) and a list of sites for computer help would pop up.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
HERE is the link for the MSN Search Toolbar. Is this what you had?

Shortkayke77

Shortkayke77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
i don't think it was a tool bar, i don't remember having anything special. It was just when i typed anything other than a url in that space. it would do a search. now it just says the page can't be found.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I have heard someone talk about that before , but I'm drawing blanks. Leet me do some looking around.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I think it's the toolbar suite put out by MSN. Look HERE

Shortkayke77

Shortkayke77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
thank you so much! it is really appreciated. :-)

Shortkayke77

Shortkayke77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
no, it has always been on IE. no matter the computeri've been on. i could type anything in the url bar and it would search if it wasn't a url. then all of the sudden one day when i typed in the space it said page can't be found. i never had to install anything. even google and yahoo both have options "enable search in IE " or somthing to that extent.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I can't do it in my browser but I had a friend who had it configured that he could look up something like this:

If he wanted to find an infection on geekstogo.com

He would type in geekstogo.com surfsidekick and it would take him to that listing in geekstogo

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
OK, I just tried it in IE and it took me to google browse by name. HERE is the explanation concerning that option. Did you recently update IE? They just put out updates yesterday and that may have had something to do it.

Shortkayke77

Shortkayke77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hmmm, i don't know. its really frustrating LOL. i've always used my url bar for searching, and it always brougnt up the msn page. I've never had to type in a seperate bar or window or open something different. maybe it had something to do with msn and somehow i deleted it. I will try to download the msn tool bar, and see if that helps. I'll keep you posted. thank you so much for your hard work and research. I'm running AVG now and finding some interesting results, so once i get all of that fixed i will re install the msn toolbar.

As a matter of fact i remember alot of this happening when i un installed the e-bay tool bar. so maybe i uninstalled something by mistake. Thanks again for all of your help! MWAAAHHH!!

Shortkayke77

Shortkayke77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
AHHH, i have that option selected in my google tool bar options and when i type "windows" or "google" it says page can't be found. I tried uninstalling and re installing making sure to select that option. it worked 2 times (maybe) before it began saying page can not be displayed.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts

when i un installed the e-bay tool bar

Probably had something to do with it . Look at the malware section in my signature and use the free tools at your disposal and get your computer cleaned up while you're here. :tazz:

Shortkayke77

Shortkayke77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Way ahead of you! thank you so much. I am following all of the steps there. and then i will re try. I really REALLY appreciate your hard work!