Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck in Microsoft Registry Checker

• Please log in to reply

eleanor

eleanor

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I need some serious help. Like a fool, I gave in to my hubby's whining because he wanted to download music. I was told that Limewire was an OK program so I downloaded it. I didn't like the way it was acting so I uninstalled it. I found the files still in "my computer" so I scanned AdawareSE and Stop Sign. Seemed there was no real problem. I found a download from your website which checked for errors in the registry (Registry Mechanic 5.1 for Windows) so I ran it. It detected problems and fixed some of them (I guess you have to buy the software to get the whole fix). I then ran the registry check. When it got to C:\Windows\System.DAT it froze at "Checking system registry structure". I tried re-starting the computer several times but the same thing kept happening. I got to start it in safe mode and I tried to run "Scan Disk". The full scan wouldn't work, told me it had restarted 10 times because a program was open. Checked Ctrl/Alt/Delete and only Explorer was running. I also noticed that the computer was not detecting my CD burners or my modem. Tried to get online and message came up that the computer's modem was being blocked from connecting. I tried to start the computer again and the same blue screen with the "Microsoft Registry Checker" came up. Couldn't even go into safe mode. It took me to the DOS screen and I couldn't get out of that either.
Took it to Circuit City to have it diagnosed. They couldn't even get anything on their monitor. I think they swapped out the video card to get a display. They told me the computer got real hot and they smelled something burning!!! (Can it get any worse!) They are at the point where they are out of ideas. The guy tells me the hard drive is OK but they can't run a diagnostic on it because they can't get it out of the "Register Checker" mode either. They think the Power Pack or something might have been the burning smell???? I am sooooo totally p---ed off right now. I bought a new computer because I can't afford to be without one as I use it for my work. They claim they can transfer my documents etc. from the old one onto the new one as long as the sector didn't go bad. (All this terminology is double dutch to me). I can't see how they can do this if they can't even start the computer??? They are also saying that it would cost hundreds of dollars to replace the power thingy, save all the info on the computer, upgrade it to Windows XP and whatever else needs to be done. I would like to save this computer as a backup if possible. Can anyone help me please? I can't understand computer jargon so please keep it simple. The computer was custom built.

Edited by eleanor, 16 March 2006 - 08:17 PM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Eleanor
Since your computer starts at the C: prompt C:>
Start the computer then C:>Scanreg /restore enter (note the space between scanreg and the/)
This should give you a list of 5 times the computer had a last good boot
Pick a date that is earlier then when you had trouble. Reboot

Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 17 March 2006 - 02:20 AM.

dontpanic

dontpanic

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have encountered this same problem. I have used the C:>Scanreg /restore without any change. I used all the restore dates offered with no change. Any other suggestions?

TIA,
dontpanic

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will rebuild the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, give it a minute to arrive at the prompt with a flashing cursor then type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When Windows has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98 CD then reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start, programmes accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then run disc defragmenter from system tools

dontpanic

dontpanic

• Pip
  • 4 posts
If I try using Command Prompt Only, system still trys to boot normally & it goes back to running Registry Checker & locks up. Can I use Command Prompt Safe Mode?

TIA,
dontpanic

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can try, though it may return bad command

You can run the file check in safe mode

dontpanic

dontpanic

• Pip
  • 4 posts
File check in safe mode? What is that & how do I do it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98 CD then reboot.

Pelagic

Pelagic

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Stuck in Registry Checker fixed !

I had the same problem as Eleanor today after running Registry Mechanic on my home PC with W98SE. I emailed PC Tools and got an answer the same day. There is a file in the Registry Mechanic folder called RMReg.exe that will turn off the Registry Checker.

Here is the email from PC Tools about the problem.

Regards,
Pelagic

For the Windows 98 operating system, Registry Mechanic's Compact Registry feature uses Windows 98's own proprietary commands (c:\windows\command\scanreg /opt /fix) to compact the registry. As a result, Windows is needing some additional time to complete the compaction process. Considering this, you may want to run the Compact Registry feature at the end of your current Windows session (ie: let Windows complete its compaction process throughout the night). The next day, the process should have then completed successfully.

*Once the process referenced above is completed, any future compactions should occur within an acceptable time frame (normally within just a few minutes).

Solution #1 (I need access to my desktop right now)

1. Power up the computer and after the memory count completes and just before
the computer either display the Windows 98 Splash screen or the message
Starting Windows 98..., immediately hold down the Ctrl key or press and hold down the F8 key. The Windows 98 startup menu will then appear. Select Safe Mode from the available options on the menu.
2. Once at the desktop, please open My Computer and navigate into the Registry Mechanic folder (usually C:\Program Files\Registry Mechanic).
2. Double click on the RMReg.exe file.
3. Close the My Computer window.
4. Restart the computer into normal mode.
5. Run the Registry Compact feature at the end of the evening.

Solution #2 (I'd prefer to let Windows complete the Registry compaction process now).

1. Power up the computer.
2. Let Window's Microsoft Registry Checker complete the compaction process (this may take several minutes!).
3. Once the process is completed, Windows will complete the boot process and then display the desktop.