Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Crash

• Please log in to reply

redtangent

redtangent

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
This problem started last week, while playing a game it kicked me back to windows (2000 pro) and said there was a corrupt file found and to run chkdsk /r. I did this and it fixed a bad cluster on the HD. The next day it got worse, windows said my profile was corrupt and it would load a temporary one. So i ran chkdsk /r again but this time it said it found irrcoverable errors and was unable to fix them. So I assumed it was a HD crash and ordered a new HD to load win 2000 pro back on and recover the other disk. No luck, the computer constantly locks up and i have to do a hard reboot, hold down power button for 3 sec., everything i can remove has been removed. I tried to format the new HD with XP Pro as well but had the same results. I tried reseting the BIOS by removing the battery and power for a few min., that worked but after rebooting it locked up in the BIOS screen itself. I think its either the MB, the processor or the power supply that is bad now. I have tried everything i can think of, i am desperate for any help.

Any ideas what else I could check or what you think is the problem would be appreciated.

my system:
Intel 915GEVL MB
P4 530 3.0 Ghz LGA 775 Processor
Wintec 512 MB stick RAM
Western Digital 80 GB Cavier HD
Lite-On 16x cdrw

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you cleaned out the inside of the computer recently? dust can cause heat which can cause all kinds of problems...it could also be ram or your processor...do you only have one stick of ram in the macine?

redtangent

redtangent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
This did happen about a week after I added a new Video Card so I maybe kicked up some dust doing that, and I do have only one stick of ram in the machine right now, its the same stick i've used for the last year without a problem. I did try it with the new memory I ordered and had the same results.

I tried following Intel's recomendations last night to 'recover' the bios. It's supposed to load the newest version of bios from a floppy drive after setting a jumper to recover setting. Well the computer just sat there for 10 min. trying to load the BIOS and nothing happened. Now the computer won't do anything, even with the memory removed there is no beepcode it just turns on lights and spins the CPU fan. I think the bIOS is corrumpted

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you tried removing the video card and putting back the old one?

redtangent

redtangent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
im using the on board video

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
turn the machine off...unplug it...open the case...ground yourself...take out the cmos battery....hold in the power button for a minute...put the battery back in....button up the case..plug it in...turn it on...anything?

redtangent

redtangent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I will try when I'm at home, any experience with Intel's tech support? I'm wondering if they're 3 year warranty would help me any if the MB is bad.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if it's still under warranty they are required to uphold that warranty and replace any thing that you have under that warranty

redtangent

redtangent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey, I tried what you suggested but still no beep code for the missing memory. Do you think this could be a bad MB or bad BIOS on the MB?