Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp hangs on install

• Please log in to reply

a_guys_compaq_

a_guys_compaq_

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hello well im very new to this so ill try to give a run down i have a compaq presario 5030 it had a 300 mhz pentium 2 slot 1 processor that i removed and installed a pga 370 adapter installed a celeron 766 and found that win xp would not boot just black screen ran quick restore and system worked installed win 98 second edition and it works fine istall wcpuid and found that the comp is running at 766 mhz and is stable the only problem is i cant load xp dont realy know where to go from here or who to really ask questions of i am self taught and learn from experiance so if someone can steer me in a direction that would be great also my board is 66 mhz fsb and that is what the processor is or if any one knows any thing i can do differnt to load win xp home w sp2 i would appreciate it thanks

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello a_guys_compaq_ and welcome to G2G!

XP will run really slowly on a 766 MHz. The specs of the PC show that your computer ships with 64MB and 2MB integrated graphics which again isn't very good.

Sorry if i'm not anwsering your question but I don't see the point in trying to run XP on an ancient PC like this. You'd be better to stick with 98SE or 2000.