Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No fixed disk found

• Please log in to reply

PinCushion

PinCushion

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
New problem i'm having now with the hard drive. The rest of the computer seems to operate fine but when i try to set everything up now with the hard drive i get the no fixed disk found reply after trying to partition in dos using the fdisk command. I'm unsure if i have to do something in the bios first (or even how to do this exactly) or if it could be a hard ware problem where its not hooked up right. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Hello PinCushion!

Does the BIOS detect the hard drive?
Are the jumpers set correctly?
Are all cables connected correctly?

PinCushion

PinCushion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
The bios detects it when its in the secondary drive but when i tried to partition it, it only came up with it showing 10 gigs when it has 80.. the bios show it at 80 as well. Do i need this in the primary slot or can i get away with it being in the secondary?

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Your hard drive should be set as master and be connected to the primary IDE channel (IDE0).

When you checked the partition in fdisk did it say that 100% of the disk was used?
What boot disk are you using?
What make and model is the hard drive?

PinCushion

PinCushion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I got it working for some reason before windows was installed it said this but after it was installed it said differently in size of the c drive when i looked at it and the bios detects it at the right size so ill just leave it now.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Have you tried going into disk managment and looking if there's any free space on the drive that can be partition?