Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New built PC running very very slow

• Please log in to reply

robster

robster

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi All I've just built the following system:

Processor: AMD Athlon 4400 X2 Toledo
Ram: 2Gb Corsair Value Select
GPU: Geforce 7800GT
HDD: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 250Gb, SATA, NCQ
MB: Asus A8N SLI Premium
Optical 1: Sony DVD Rom
Optical 2: NEC DVD RW/RAM
PSU: Hiper 580W Type-R
All happily living together in a
Cooler MAster Stacker 830

The problem is the CPU is continually maxed out at 100% and everything takes an age to happen.
I've got many theories but I really could do with someone in the know here.

Here are my thoughts at the moment,
It's either a bios problem (I've not updated it yet as I don't see the need to) or a problem with NCQ on the SATA HDD.
Everythings up to date (I've updated them):
Windows,
NForce4 Chipset drivers,
NVidia graphics drivers,
There is a firewall running,
Norton AV9.

It's definately not infected, It's just something simple I've missed. It's annoying both me and my girlfriend spending a lot on a computer only to find it running slower than her 2 year old Celeron Laptop.

Any ideas guy's I'd really appreciate it. I'll buy you a virtual drink.

Rob

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
if you havent updated the bios, try doing that, sometimes there are issues with specific bios versions.

robster

robster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Cheers mate, i really appreciate, it seems like everythings conspiring against me on this on.

I've tried to flash the bios (I currently have version 1008) but the asus update program keeps showing this message as it connects to the ftp server.

"Sorry, there's no proper BIOS image files on the server!"

There's not much info on this problem that I can find. My other issue is I'm not too sure about the bios versions to flash it from a file in case I get the wrong one.

To add some info, when I installed windows it took 12 hours! So I'm sure Windows isn't the problem, it's something simple that I've done wrong. I left pretty much everything as auto in the bios and I'm wondering as my Barracudas 7800.9 are SATA2 NCQ that there's something not set up properly but I cant see how. Would that account for why the CPU is maxed out on both cores?

I'm going mad on this one.

Cheers for your help on this one.

Rob

robster

robster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry I didn't really get to the point there, just to add, if you think there is a definite problem with bios 1008 for the premium and I need to flash it, then:

A do you know how to fix the auto updater?
or
B could you point to the bios file I could download to update it and how to flash the bios (I just don't want to corrupt my new mobo.)

Cheers again

Rob

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
i think its either a bad mobo, or just a incompatable bios, that for some reaon is working, but with insane problems. just get the latest version of the bios, asus's site should have the latest one listed there for download, then use a program that should have came with your motherboard to open the bin file or whatever type it is, and flash it, otherwise, if it fits, put it on a floppy, and many motherboards have ways of flashing off of a boot disk, so just look around asus's site. if you cant find much, email asus, and if you dont get anywhere after the first email, they dont care enough, and try to take the board back to the place where you got it. i have known email support to be very pathetic.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It should go on a floppy disk the primary method of bios flashing is via a floppy disk and is the way ideally you should do it, updating to the later version of bios on this board will fix about 70% of problems, just hope you arent in the rest the board is a pretty buggy one.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
You got Norton 2006? Thats what slowed my pc down loads try downloading the update to fix it if you have this problem.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Rob, the asusupdate is messed up, dont use it. Mine told me there was no Mobo detected.....LOL! Anyway, just go to usa.asus.com click on support then go to downloads. Download bios 1008 copy it to a floppy. Then d/l bios 1103, copy to floppy. Reflash, you should have no more problems.
Mine came with 1009. It works great I had no problems getting anything to work or install. You could maybe even try that one, but I figure if your going to reflash then mihgt as well get up to date.
-Pete.

robster

robster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Just like to say thanks to everyone, the problem was an old bios. that needed updating
In case anyone ever has the same problem as I did, I hope this helps.

My bios revision for my Asus Premium was 1008 which is pretty old.
I flashed the bios to the new beta version from ASUS site and flashed it using the ASUS updater.

What I think the problem was is the boards come with the bios installed as either the 1008 or 1009 version,
1009 people won't have a problem but I think SATA2 HDD with NCQ came out after bios 1008 so the bios struggles with them (that’s my feeling I could be wrong).
Either that or there wasn't full support for my Athlon 4400 or my corsair value select ram with bios 1008.

Basically what I'm trying to say is if you have bios 1008 and you're installing very new hardware technology on your ASUS then flash the bios first.

The technicians I emailed on the ASUS help site were fantastic too; they deserve a big thanks for helping me out.

Everything runs brilliantly now.

Thanks everyone, you're stars.

Rob & Leanne

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Have Fun and Enjoy Your Sweet Rig My Friend