Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error 1316.a

• Please log in to reply

slopetastic

slopetastic

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have customer with a problem when trying to uninstall a program. I get the following error:

Error 1316.a - A network error occurred when attempting to read from the file <filename>.

The <filename> above is an msi file that does not exist. The program says it's installed, but will throw this error up when trying to uninstall.

I've tried creating and logging in as a new user and trying to uninstall, no fix.

I've tried running RegVac to clean up the registry of this problem, but it fix it. If there is a better program for this that will fix it, I'd love to know.

Any ideas on where to go from here? I am a support tech for our software, and I might have to send him to a computer repair guy to fix him

Thanks a lot!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it sounds like the program was installed from a network share and the share has since been removed or changed

Reinstall the program and then run uninstall

slopetastic

slopetastic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The filename it gave me was actually something like C:\Windows\Installer\<filename>.msi, so it wasn't looking on the network. That file that it's looking for is not there... and you might be right, installing again might fix it. The program even shows up under Add/Remove programs, which is what worries me. I'll try running another install and see if it works.

Thanks!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the msi file is a installation routine that may be pointing to other files on a network

Might help to know the ????.msi file.

Sandy222

Sandy222

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Error 1316 is an irritating installation error. It pops up when a software is being installed, uninstalled or repaired on your computer. You may get the following description while seeing this error: Error 1316: "A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: :\Install.msi" Are you wondered what causes this glitch? No need to worry. This article is all about the simple and user friendly steps that help you fix error 1316 Windows 7.

1. Use Windows Installer Clean Up
2. Use a Registry Fixing Utility
3. Change Windows Installer Registry Information
4. Check the Security Details of the Concerning File
I hope this solution will surely give u the way to solve your Error 1316.