Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't delete old restore points

• Please log in to reply

wright3279

wright3279

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
When I try to clean out all but the latest restore point using the disk cleanup utility, it doesn't work. I can still delete them by turning off the system restore thru the control panel/system route. Anyone know a way of fixing the erase utility so it will work as before?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
work as before?

You mean you've been deleting them a different way?

This is...inadviseble

If you don't like the restore points taking up so much room, reduce the percentage of the driver it can use...windows will eliminate the older files and retain the newest by itself.

Doing what your doing makes me nervous.

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
The usual way is: Accessories/system tools/Disk cleanup/more options/system restore/cleanup
It's an option of the cleanup utility. I'm saying it doesn't work any more. It doesn't clean out old restore points anymore. They're still there when I run it. I've done it that way for years. It's a built in way of clearing out old restore points.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try setting the space that system restore will use to a lower size...and make a new restore point...it should push the old ones out to make space for th enew one

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I've got it set to the lowest which is 1% or 200mb. Don't know yet how many restore points that will hold. Got 4 there so far.