Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Activate an activated Windows?

• Please log in to reply

RuddyRum

RuddyRum

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
OK, i have searched the web for a soultion to my issue, but have had absolutley no success!!!

I installed XP with SP2 about a month ago with no difficulties on my system! on my first startup, i activated windows, and everything was working fine... untill now! When i start my comp, it boots into windows and at the login screen i am presented with an error: "you need to activate windows... click yes to activate" so as it says, i click 'yes'.
This is the odd part... i am then presented with the activation screen (blue with a set of keys) and it says, "you have already activated your version of windows, click ok to continue". I click 'ok', and it logs back out into the login screen. if i try and login, exactly the same happens... (you need to activate windows...!!!)

I have tried getting a resonable explanation from microsoft, but they have told me that i will need to re-install windows. This solution will not suffice! it is something i cannot afford to do, as all of my data on the disk will be lost!

Has anyone got any suggestion as to what i can do? is there a solution for this (software or otherwise) so that i can get into windows, and then backup my data so i can do a re-install of windows?

Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
how did you install windows? is this home or pro? what kind of disk do you have oem? retail? upgrade? where did you get the disk?

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Try running the Windows Recovery tool when putting in your XP SP2 Disk. OR, do a windows "upgrade" over your current installation.

RuddyRum

RuddyRum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
It is windows XP Pro!
I installed it from boot, and it is not an OEM disc, nor is it an upgrade! Box just says it is windows xp pro with sp2. As i cannot get into windows to do an update, i have to do it from boot, and even when selecting an update, it says that information will be lost from the drive during installation!!!
If i try a recovery, i get put into a command line interface. how do i go from there?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by presssing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP
Repair XP

that will leave your data intact but replace the windows install..

RuddyRum

RuddyRum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
willl give that a go, if that doesnt work, i have thought of a work around! i will hook up my HDD to antoher system, and copy across all the files i need backed up, then re install my HDD into my system, along with XP! Thanks for quick response!!!!

weAponX

weAponX

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ruddy, I have seen that same kind of error- what Dsnette is saying is good advice- If you go to the MS website, you may want to print before you start.

The version of XP is pretty important, there are several versions of XP. Sometimes stores sell copies of XP that are not properly registered: Open your XP cd and find the SETUP.EXE file and right click on that, and pull up properties. Go to the "Version" Property sheet and go down to the bottom, "Product Version" and tell me if what you got is version

"5.1.2600.1106"

Did your copy come with a nice sized "book" with a label that looks official, and has the product key stamped on it? You may want to check that file on the cd, and then compare it to anything it says in any documentation that you got.

My interest is, I just re-installed XP pro here, and it did not ask for activation, but I did that install that is in Dsnette's link.