Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No computer power

• Please log in to reply

deegibbons

deegibbons

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi all,

When I turned on my computer yesterday my RW drive was not being recognized. So I opened it up and found that I plug had been loose so I put it in firmly. While I had it open, I kept hearing a rattling sound in my floppy drive, so I looked at it and found my toddler had put a metal dog id tag into the floppy. (we never use it because we use the USB drives). Anyway, I pulled it out and put everything back together. When I turned the computer on, the floppy drive light stayed on and the computer wasn't booting. So I took the floppy back out and replaced it with an old one because I thought the metal tag might have damaged it. When I tried to turn the computer back on, I get nothing. No beeps, no fan, no power.

Any suggestions?

Dee

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is the light on the second drive still on? that's usually a sign that you put the ribbon cable on backwards...

deegibbons

deegibbons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Okay, I found out what part of the problem was. The wire from the start button was not connected, so I reconnected it. Now I can start the computer, but I get the floppy drive light that stays on, the monitor won't come on (orange light not turning to green) and it makes some noise, but I can tell it's not booting.

Deanna

deegibbons

deegibbons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Okay, I got the problem sorted out. The video card was not seated properly into the slot. Once I did that and pulled the CMOS battery for 10 minute, it started up and ran just fine.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you fix the floppy light problem too?