Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

World of Warcraft Installation Issue

• Please log in to reply

Football Geek

Football Geek

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Dear Geeks to Go members,

I recently reformatted my hard drive and am having trouble reinstalling World of Warcraft. I have an Inspiron XPS, Windows XP Pro, 256mb video memory on an ATI Radeon 9700 Mobility, an Intel Pentium IV at 3.2ghz, 1gb of RAM, AVG Antivirus, and a SigmaTel Audio Sound Card. I have tried to reinstall it, but in vain. I have tried all of the fixes at World of Warcraft's official support site, and none of them worked. I have tried the fixes/installing normally with my disks and two other sets of disks (my friends' disks). I have started in selective startup mode with msconfig, I have disabled my antivirus/firewalls, I have disconnected from the internet, and I have disconnected my peripherals. I do not know where to turn because I have tried everything that the World of Warcraft techies recommend, and I am desparate to rejoin the World of Warcraft community. Please help me!

Football Geek

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what errors are you getting? was it installed previously on this system?

Football Geek

Football Geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Starjax,

The error message was as follows:

The installer was unable to read the file "<unknown>". This error may be caused by problems with the media or drive at --for example, a scratched or dirty CD-ROM/DVD-ROM, hard drive corruption, or a networking problem while downloading the installer. (The data being read was "Repack-MPQ\Data#texture.MPQ\World\Generic\Orc\Passive Doodads\Banners\ClanBanner06.blp", and the error code was 38.)(MPQFile::Read)

I know that there is not a problem with copying the data because i successfully lifted all of the data from the CD into a folder on my desktop. I did not download the installer, it was on the CD. Since I am not using a CD drive because I am running it from the folder, that does not matter. I defragged and ran chkdsk and they turned up nothing. Thanks for helping me.

Football Geek

sarpedon

sarpedon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi!

I'm not sure but this might help though you said you have tried all fixes in the tech support of WoW. I had the same problem in installation (error 38) but I followed the recommendation in this link:

http://forums.worldo...98573&p=1&tmp=1

The problem in my case was the RAM at my PC. After I followed the advise to run memory check and isolating the problematic memory module - I took out that problematic memory hardware - lowering my memory to just 256MB. Then I did the check again using the tool as specified in the above link (or here: http://oca.microsoft...en/windiag.asp) i found my memory to be ok.

Then reinstalled - voila! It worked for me. :whistling: Hope this works for you too!

Good luck!

-sarp