Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Black & White Screen on Boot

• Please log in to reply

domer

domer

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
This is a bit long, but I wanted to be thorough with the first post, so I did not have to play ping pong question and answer :tazz:

My Windows XP won't load. I was working with video files and the computer ran OK, then I shut it down to go somewhere. When I powered on the computer again later in the day, I had problems right away. The drive in question is a Seagate Barracuda 120 GB SATA drive running Windows XP home.

After BIOS post I get B&W screen stating Windows did not start successfully. Options are Start Normally, Start in Safe Mode, Last Known Configuration and a couple of other Safe Mode options. Start Normally goes to Windows splash screen, times out and starts BIOS post again - an unending circle of failed boots. If I click any other option, I get a list of drivers, with the last one being:
multidisk rdisk partition/WINDOWS/System 32/Drivers/gagp30kx.sys

Booting with Windows CD and going to DOS I tried a dir command and a diskpart command, neither seeing the hard drive with the OS on it.
Another thing booting with Windows CD, I hit f6 to load Promise controller drivers and after loading hit Repair. Got a message at the bottom of the screen that said something to the effect scanning or analyzing hard disk and showed the HDD size, but then this process timed out and it went back into the ugly circular boot cycle.

Can this be memory related? It acts like a Windows driver file got corrupted, and that is where the Windows boot stops. With data on the disk I do not want to lose if at all possible, I am in a dilemma on which step to take next. I have a small 20 GB hard drive in the computer as a slave drive. Can I load Windows on to it, use it as the Operating system to access files on the main HDD and transfer them off to an external drive, then reload Windows on the main HDD? I am a bit nervous doing a repair/recovery with the Windows CD without trying to rescue the files first. I have not run any memory tests or HDD tests yet, but have the disks to run both now.

Any help would be appreciated. It is a SATA drive, so I haven't gotten a lot of help with local computer repair shops.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi domer...

gagp30kx.sys is a Microsoft VIA chipset driver file which allows AGP and CPU to communicate. You may be able to use the method you mention to recover the files and store them there. That said, running a repair installation (inplace upgrade) should not interfere with your current files and settings...it will replace only the system files.

When done correctly, this looks just like a fresh install except you are never offered the option to partition or format...

REPAIR your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's...if not available, try the following...

wannabe1

domer

domer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thank you wannabe.

I appreciate the help.

I loaded Windows XP onto a second drive (ide) and made it the second priority boot device (after cdrom). I can't load my dsl file for some reason. First of all it did not recognize the modem (ethernet connection). I went to ASUS wbsite and downloaded LAN drivers to my old computer (the one I'm on now)and burned them to a cd but when I try to load onto the newer computer with the ASUS MB it says the processor does not support that driver. :tazz: HUH??? Now I'm really confused. Anyway I went into BIOS and made the small drive with the new install of Windows XP the second priority boot device and then connected my SATA drive. When I look at Windows Explorer, it does not see the SATA drive, so I cannot move the files on that drive to a safe location (external drive)

I'm stuck again. :)