Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

question about multiple anti-spyware/virus applications

• Please log in to reply

melodrameric

melodrameric

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
it's come to my attention that i may be running too many of these programs at once.

currently, i have the following programs running with real-time protection:
webroot spy sweeper
windows defender
mcafee virusscan enterprise

these are all set to scan every night, and i frequently run scans with spybot s&d and ad-aware.

i know that having too many of these programs at once can actually do less good than intended, so do you think i should disable one or more of these?

thanks,
-a total n00b.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello melodrameric...

Two Antivirus programs running at the same time can cause problems. Running two firewalls at the same time can cause problems. Running two Antispyware programs at the same time can cause problems.

Choose one good Antivirus application and one firewall to run. Let the Windows Defender run. Then if your scans run automatically, make sure that no two run at the same time...and you should be able to leave the others running in the background.

wannabe1

melodrameric

melodrameric

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
so mcafee virusscan 8.0i and spy sweeper 4.5 ARE or ARE NOT compatible?
and are either of those compatible with windows defender?

i'm really sorry, but i'm having trouble understanding.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You can run the McAfee and the Spy Sweeper should be ok together.

I'm not sure how the Windows Defender is with anything, yet. I haven't seen any issues with it running in the background with other applications so far. Try it, if you notice any problems, disable it from running in the background.

wannabe1

melodrameric

melodrameric

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
yeah, i really haven't noticed any problems for the past few days that i've been running all three. so far windows defender seems to be fine with them running real-time too.

thanks for your help :tazz: