Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a new Computer

• Please log in to reply

evilstumpy

evilstumpy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well i am new to the building a computer scene i know a little about the inside of a computer i know my way around it but i dont know the good parts. So if anyone can help i would like to know what i can put into a good computer for a couple hundred bucks around $500 i guess for now. I also was told there was a website to check compatibilty anyone know what site that would be?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
To me this puter would be a good start for building your first computer.

http://www.tigerdire.....ku=I69-2119 F

It has integrated video, and integrated sound so all you will have to buy is a hard drive, maybe a dvd-rw and a windows XP cd and you have a basic computer to work with up and running. A WD 200 gig hd is $80, the NEC DVD-RW costs $40. The XP cd costs $90 for SP2 home edition oem.

The computer can be later upgraded with a Nvidia 6600 or 6800 PCI-E vidoe card, Creative Audigy Sound card, a Sata hard drive and maybe a regular prescott P4 processor. The upgrades would cost up to around $500 more over the basic puter but the basic setup would cost around $360-400. That is not bad for all new puter tower.

Heres a good website on building a computer.

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/index.htm

Good luck to you. I hope you have as much fun as i have building computers. Frustrating at times but still i have enjoyed it.

SRX660

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
wow SRX i have to say very very good find on that computer building website