Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet disconnecting

• Please log in to reply

mk1james

mk1james

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
since i was upgraded to 2.2mbps from 512 i have been getting disconnected from time to time and to today it disconnected and would not connect 4 a long time. I have tryed ringing the BT yahoo helplines but they just tell me to move my modem and things like this. Also i was downloading something today and the light for the USB was flashing and i though can my modem take 2.2mbps. i have the speed touch 330 that we bough off BT.

Advertisements

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
sorry i did not write this in the 3 days fourm
sataday i posted
and in internet and browsing
this was beacsue someone just put me in the posting bit

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i would personally put the blame on BT for this as the only thing that changed was the account speed...not sure about the modem..it may be causing issues...but hard to tell

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
cant see any in red but some of them have waiting next to them.
+ i dont no when it disconnect like the time it just does it like 3 times a day

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...the next time you get disconnected check the event viewer and see if anything red comes up...

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
ok

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
i remembered that i got disconected yesterday at 9:20 and looked on the logs and there was nothing at this time or around this time.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well then....in all likely hood it's not your computer's fault....i would start pushing BT to test the line to your house...

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
they have, they tell me it is fine

Edited by dudeja, 21 March 2006 - 11:28 AM.

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
could u please reply i got to go soon.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
without error messages, or BT saying something is wrong this isn't as easy as you want it to be...you need to keep in mind that we aren't magic, we're volunteers....i do not have some kind of magical wand that let's me know what's wrong iwth your system...this takes time....so either be patient...or don't....

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
ok i will be patient

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

since i was upgraded to 2.2mbps from 512 i have been getting disconnected from time to time and to today it disconnected and would not connect 4 a long time. I have tryed ringing the BT yahoo helplines but they just tell me to move my modem and things like this. Also i was downloading something today and the light for the USB was flashing and i though can my modem take 2.2mbps. i have the speed touch 330 that we bough off BT.

Two possible factors here:

1) Your line can't cope with a 2Meg connection and for whatver reason you've been flagged as able to support a 2Meg connection. A likely contender when the line was working fine under the 512k connection.

2) USB modems are crap and unreliable.

A third factor could also be that your ISP (BT Yahoo) are in a state of denial and the customer services people would not have a clue as to whether the service is working properly or not.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Try this real quick:

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. Now click on Accelerate downloads and Internet surfing to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
still disconnecting

but when you say "select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot" did you mean put it to 1 mg or 6 meg
i have 2meg