Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 Pro freezes at start up after installing Nortons Systemwo

• Please log in to reply

Martinrulz

Martinrulz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Could one on the other settings in the bios be causing the problem with the dvd burner. I don't have a cdrom. Sorry for any confusion.

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Besides the hardrive, cd-rom drive and dvd burner, is anything else connected to the primary and secondary? I think I would dissconnect that dvd drive and try the cd-rom drive as a secondary on the primary cable and as a primary on the secondary cable. In other words: disconect the dvd burner and try booting with the cd-rom drive on the other cable......

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
OK.....I'll be right back.....

Martinrulz

Martinrulz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok....Sorry about the cdrom confusion.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
What brand computer is this? Did it just come with that 'dvd burner drive'? No other drive?

Martinrulz

Martinrulz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I built the computer about 6 yrs. ago and put a cd burner in it. The cdburner took a dump about a year ago and I installed the dvd burner.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I'm wondering if we gave safe mode a fair shot? If your timing is bad, it will attempt to boot to windows. F8 doesn't work on all pc's. F5 sometimes works. If safe mode is a nogo and it won't boot from that dvd drive then you might want to buy a new cd-rom drive and install it. They are cheap....$15 or so. Plus it's a good idea to have two drives.....

Martinrulz

Martinrulz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm in the Windows 2000 Advanced Options Menu. Which option should I try? Safe Mode, SM with Networking, SM with Command Prompt, Enable Boot Logging, Enable VGA Mode, Last Good Config., Directory Services Restore Mode, Boot Normally, or Return to OS Choices Menu.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
for now try 'safe mode'

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I've seen em hang at mup.sys for awhile before entering safe mode. Let it go for awhile.....

Advertisements

Martinrulz

Martinrulz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I tried it with Last Config. and it booted up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap!!!! Here's the bad the Add/Remove won't let me uninstall Nortons. A window pops up saying Setup has detected a previous install or uninstall has been completed but requires a restart. What should I do?

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Good question........I'm thinking......

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
If your data is critical, I would try and back it up. Otherwise, I would reboot and then try and uninstall Norton.. If you can wait someone else may come along with a better idea.....

Martinrulz

Martinrulz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just rebooted it now let's see if it will let me uninstall it.

Martinrulz

Martinrulz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The Nortons Systemworks 2006 Premier activation screen is up on my screen with an hour glass. Like it is stalling or something.