Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Whats the best anti-virus package?

• Please log in to reply

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Hey,

I currently have Norton Internet Security 2006 but I dont feel secure with it.

Could anyone please list some better alternatives ??

-BARROS

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
I dont know if this is better, but in my oppinion it runs faster and its really easy to use. "Trend Micro Internet Security 2006" Built in firewall, spyware finder, ect...

They have a trail on their site, you can check it out and if you like it you can buy the full version.

Cool, enjoy :coo:

wright3279

wright3279

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I'm using the free versions of Avast for antivirus and the basic firewall from Zone Alarm. You could try them without spending any monet.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Avast is better than Norton and so is AVG both free, the two best are kapersky and nod 32 although they arent free.

sposes

sposes

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I vote for Nod32 and here is why:

It does not eat my system memory or resources, nor does it eat junk food.
Has a clean, profesional interface, it dosent try to impress the user with a fancy GUI.
Functional and efficient.

I have tryed Avast, AVG, Norton 2003, Norton Corporate and Panda Antivirus.

Panda was my favorite untill it too ate alot of junk food and started to dramaticaly slow my system down.

Norton 2003, the GUI was like eye candy and that scared me, also it alowed a few viruses to infect my system.

Norton corporate, no fancy GUI, clean interface didnt seem to eat too much junk food. However, when my system gets infected by a known virus I ditched it.

Avast, eye candy again turns me away woundering how much it secures me, then when i get infected by a few viruses I ditched it, when all of my clients whome i fixed computers for got viruses after haveing this protection in my system, I no longer recomend it to anyone.

AVG, ditto...

So I love Nod32, and I think it is the best, of course the best is a mater of personal prefernce.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I stick by Panda. Because unlike Norton, it says "I've found a virus, I'm getting rid of it, end of discussion". The Internet Security Suite version is very good as well.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
NOD 32 is great. just switched from norton and the difference is huge. The interface is small and clear, it doesn't try to update itself every 2 hours, and it scans a lot of files in a very short time.

It's probably the most resource efficient antivirus I've seen. 2 processes if you don't use outlook or need the email scanner.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
My dad just informed me of this but if you are a Comcast user (like me) on Comcast.net you can download McAfee (Virus Blocker, Firewall, and Privacy) all for free. I tried it and it's done a good job so far. I also tried AntiVir before and liked that. AVG kept popping up in the middle of games to update, so I didn't like that. And Norton didn't do much of anything. So as of now, McAfee is my favorite.