Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installation of mulitple disc programs

• Please log in to reply

Marcusmmc23

Marcusmmc23

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
For some reason, when I try to install a program that has multiple install discs, Windows continually remembers the previous disc when it comes time to swap cd's. What do I need to do in order to get windows to recognize that the disc that is now in my drive is different from the one I just pulled out? So far, what I have been doing is pulling disc 1 out, then closing the drive empty, then putting disc 2 in. When the drive closes and the cd is read, it says disc 1 still. So I repeat steps 2 & 3 repeatedly until it finally works 10 - 15 minutes later. GRRRRRR! If you can help, please!

Advertisements

baroon

baroon

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Now if you have already made it work, why are you needing help.

Ok, the program that you are installing the CD remebers ( more precisely the installer ) what CD it requires next and not the windows OS. So, it now depends on the installer to check for the CD. Many installer just say "plz enter the next CD" and again ask for the CD if drive is empty as it keeps the track. But in your case, the installer is just loosing out the sequence on loading empty drive, so its asking for CD 1 again. Think you might get that.

Marcusmmc23

Marcusmmc23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I guess I stated the problem wrong then from your response. Whether I am installing a program or not, Windows remembers the previous cd that was in the drive. So, for example, I am watching "Monty Python; Holy Grail". I finish the movie and take the DVD out of the drive and replace it with "Blazing Saddles". Windows explorer for some reason reads the Blazing Saddles disc as Holy Grail. For some reason, it caches the Holy grail disc. I was just giving the install problem as an example as well just to show how frustrating it is when it takes hours to install a single program because each time it asks to insert the next disc, windows still has the first disc cached. Make sense?

baroon

baroon

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
NO, the window only remebering CD Label and not the content. Whenever you enter the another CD, CD drive reflect its content. But somehow, in your case window is just not been able to reflect the CD title in the drive. Refreshing the window explorer, generally, makes windows to re-read CD or DVD tile. That is, in your case it's sticking with the previous cd title. Is rebooting window helps in your problem. Means whether on restarting windows, the CD title changes to the CD in drive.

Marcusmmc23

Marcusmmc23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Rebooting doesn't help when I'm installing a program because I'll have to start over with disc one. But it does seem like you are understanding what's happening. I'll shoot another example at you. I am in the process of installing a new game. I insert the install disc (disc 1) and it installs the content from that CD. Then in asks me to inset disc 2. I insert disc 2 and press ok. It continues to ask for disc 2. So I minimized the install process and opened windows explorer to verify it reads disc 2 in the drive. However, windows is still showing the disc 1 in the drive. I can even explore the disc in the drive and the files that windows is reading are on disc 1, not disc 2 (which is physically in the drive). That's why I'm thinking that Windows is somehow storing the previous disc in memory. There must be someway of fixing it.

baroon

baroon

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Ya, It's really annoying what you're facing. I can understand. But I haven't faced any such problem in my seven years of computer experience. One thing I'm thinking is that there might be any malware or virus on your system causing hinderance in normal drive operation. So, try to search for them. Next check whether autorun for you drive is enabled or not. Even next you can just uninstall your cd-rom drive through device manager and re-install it after rebooting. Hope any of these might help in your case. I'm searching for other remedy. So, please be patience and also don't forgot to reply if any of the above suggestion works, as I want to add it to my Knowledge Base.

Marcusmmc23

Marcusmmc23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thanks for sticking with me thus far. I heard of this before either in my ten years of computer work. I have tried searching for any malware and it came up clean. I try to do a pretty good job of security on the computer. I just tried uninstalling the drive and reinstalling it and the problem still exists. The computer has done it since day 1. Thanks for the recommendations though.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I've seen such things happening, but I knew exactly why this was occuring on my computer. I installed a program called VMWARE, and this program simulates having another computer ( although thats not the point of what i'm saying )

VMWARE disables autoplay inside the host operating system OS, so that CD's begin behaving in exactly the way you are describing. I'd put a CD in, and it would read the first one, but stay stuck and display the "contents" of the same disc even after insterting another one.

Try this little thing, it will probably help you. It's meant for XP pro, but does work on registry keys present in XP home too, so its worth a shot. Tell me what it gives.

http://vaillant.t35....torunenable.zip

Marcusmmc23

Marcusmmc23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I will give it a shot this evening and let you know what happens. Thanks for the info.