Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

6800GS vs. X800GTO

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Ok basically is it worth paying the xtra $65 for this,

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130264

over

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102609

What games do I play ? Half Life 2, Cricket 2005, NBA Live 06, Doom 3, F.E.A.R, Battlefield 2, Swat 4 etc.
Comp specs - 3.00GHz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB GeForce FX 5700 Ultra, 80GB 7200rpm SATA HDD, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2.

Personally if there isn't going to be a significant improvement in graphics of the games then I'll stick with the Radeon X800GTO but the answer to that I don't know. Also the reviews say that with X800 they can run the games on full but so can the ppl with 6800GS.
Hope some of you'll can sort out this confusion for me.
Thanks

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
first of all i dont own or have seen any of theese cards in action but,
based on stats
the 6800 has a memory clock of 1100mhz compared to 980mhz

but the X800 has open GL 2.0 compared to 1.5

the X800 supports HDTV output

both run on directx 9.0

obvesly one card is from nvidea and the other is ati (i would prefer ati)
and they both need a minimum 350 watt psu (the bigger the better)
what size psu do u have?

so really it comes down to personal preference
to me they look like pretty evenly matched cards both with there pros and cons
somebody here might have these cards or 1 of them
but thast about as far as my knowledge stretches
goodluck :tazz:
troppo

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Well, I have a 480W psu so that is not really any problem.
Let's say you had to choose between the two cards. Which would you choose ?

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I've seen the PNY 6800GS in action and it's a sweet card. I am an Nvidia fan myself. They are both pretty evenly matched though.

I would go with the X800. They do both perform about the same. I would only get the 6800GS IF you were gonna get the PCI-E SLi (which you are not).

Hope this helps! :tazz:

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well im not sure if you have a HDTV but if u dont then who cares about the HDTV output
personally i would go for the 6800 it has a higher memory clock which is better and ati cards are great to overclock if the heatsink and fan can handle it
personally if i had to choose i would be inclined to get the 6800
but its up to you
goodluck :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Really youre not gonna see a massive difference on either card, i would go with the cheapest one.

Troppo the clock and memory speeds while relativley important when comparing cards of the same model when you cross models they become less important and the best tool to use is the benchmarks from review sites.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Do you mean neither of the cards will show an improvement in graphics or performance of the games from what I'm getting right now with the 128MB FX 5700 Ultra ?
Right now I can't really run games like F.E.A.R or Battlefield 2 on max. graphics but the ppl who have reviewed these cards & some having worse specs than mine for the rest of the pc say that they can play the games on max. graphics.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
warrior scot is right,
but i was only stating the pros and cons basically its down to personal preference and reveiws or benchmarks really you wouldnt see much difference in fps but the ati cards are great to overclock slightly if you are interested in that you probably could overclock the x800's memory to the 6800's specs anyway (maybe)
but it depends weather or not you are playing hardcore games.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Go for this 6800gs its only $189.99

http://www.tigerdire...92&Sku=P56-7024

newegg has higher prices on the agp versions of the card. Its usually normal everywhere but tigerdirect has a deal on this right now..

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Really youre not gonna see a massive difference on either card, i would go with the cheapest one.

Do you mean neither of the cards will show an improvement in graphics or performance of the games from what I'm getting right now with the 128MB FX 5700 Ultra ?

What I think warriorscot meant was you will not see much of a difference between the X800 or the 6800GS. Whatever card you decide to buy, you will notice a little more than twice the performance boost from your 5700 Ultra! :tazz: