Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Saving Data from XP Boot Issue

• Please log in to reply

domer

domer

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I'm not sure where to post this as it is a combination software and hardware (I think) but my last post (597267) for this issue was in Windows XP issues so I'll stay in here. I described the initial issue in post #603158.

I have a SATA drive that won't boot into Windows so I installed a small IDE drive (20 GB), loaded Windows onto it and use that to boot the computer. Now how do I access the other drive? Do I need to do something in BIOS to make the SATA drive a slave? I changed BIOS to make CD ROM 1st boot priority and IDE drive second priority. The drive doesn't show up in Windows Explorer and Disk Management does not see it. I want to save the data to an external drive before I try and run recovery on the SATA disk.

Is the drive toast if it is not recognized?

I appreciate any help.

domer

Advertisements

weAponX

weAponX

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Last SATA drive I dealt with I had to use the floppy disk that came with the Motherboard to install a "third party hard disk driver" during windows installation.

But some motherboards, like Gigabyte: Have a setting for the SATA bus so that drives on the SATA buss show up as IDE drives.

You may have a setting like that in your Bios... But before you start rebooting and hitting Del and messing with your Bios settings-

If you posted before you probably posted your computer make, or motherboard and hard drive makes and model numbers.

If your motherboard is supported from the manufacturer's site, there will be a link to drivers, and the motherboard manual. If you post your motherboard type, or if a brand name motherboard, then these people can help you find out what you have to do to get that SATA drive found and booting again.

gronka

gronka

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
did you change the jumper settings on the original drive? Meaning moving the jumper from master to slave. You will want to make sure that the new drive is at the far end of the 80pin cable.. the older drive would then pluginto the same cable halfway up.

in bios we want to have is autodetect the primary slave.

domer

domer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
It is a SATA drive - no jumpers on the drive - only in the MB bios