Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Winfix Blackworm problem [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

thespia

thespia

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi. I believe I have a winfix problem, not sure, hoping you can help.

IE closed and reopened with a "You have been infected with blackworm, it will delete your harddrive download winfix now" Message. I immediately closed the window and my harddrive started making a lot of noise so I disconnected from the internet. I use AOL.

I ran Norton Antivirus-it showed nothing. Then ran Spybot, nothing and Adaware-nothing. I went on the net to see if there were new definitions and was unable to download them, seemed I was blocked from doing that. At this time I found this site and downloaded Vundo and ran it-it found three items (sorry-I did not know to save the list :) ) They were removed by Vundo. I downloaded the trial of Ewido on another computer and installed it on the infected PC and it found some cookies and deleted. When I tried to get the latest definitions, once again I was unable to do this.

I then tried starting the PC in safe mode and reran Vundo-it did not show anything. I had downloaded Spysweeper on another computer and installed it and ran it in safe mode. It found some cookies and a system monitor Win-Spy.

At this point whenever I am on the internet my browser does not work, it says contacting on the bottom left and then real quick a dns number pops up usually starting with a 60. and the site will not connect. My AOL e-mail still works.

At that time I attempted to restore the system to an earlier registry point and was unable to do this. Tried also to do it in safe mode and that also would not work.

I also ran CWshredder and nothing was detected. My hijack this log is:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:22:44 PM, on 3/17/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\VTTimer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Multimedia Card Reader\shwicon2k.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\LEXMAR~1\ACMonitor_X83.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\LEXMAR~1\AcBtnMgr_X83.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\printray.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\IAMAPP.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ALCXMNTR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\SymProxySvc.exe
C:\Program Files\PowerQuest\Drive Image 7.0\Agent\PQV2iSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISSERV.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\G001-1.0.25.0\gnotify.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Plaxo\2.2.3.5\InstallStub.exe
C:\WINDOWS\kdx\KHost.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Sierra Imaging\Image Expert\IXApplet.exe
C:\Program Files\interMute\SpamSubtract\SpamSub.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ATRACK.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://srch-qus10.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://srch-qus10.hpwis.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://qus10.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ycomp5,1,1,0.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: RawExecAction Object - {18898424-E3AB-4BA9-8E8D-5434B1CECA75} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\gebyv.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD05] c:\Program Files\HP\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon05] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VTTimer] VTTimer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Sunkist2k] C:\Program Files\Multimedia Card Reader\shwicon2k.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Reminder] "C:\Windows\Creator\Remind_XP.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X83 Button Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\LEXMAR~1\ACMonitor_X83.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X83 Button Manager] C:\PROGRA~1\LEXMAR~1\AcBtnMgr_X83.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PrinTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\printray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iamapp] C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\IAMAPP.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcxMonitor] ALCXMNTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [{0228e555-4f9c-4e35-a3ec-b109a192b4c2}] C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\G001-1.0.25.0\gnotify.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UserFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PlaxoUpdate] C:\Program Files\Plaxo\2.2.3.5\InstallStub.exe -a
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [kdx] C:\WINDOWS\kdx\KHost.exe
O4 - Startup: Camio Viewer.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sierra Imaging\Image Expert\IXApplet.exe
O4 - Startup: dBpowerAMP.lnk = C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\Amp.exe
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe
O4 - Startup: spamsubtract.lnk = C:\Program Files\interMute\SpamSubtract\SpamSub.exe
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Compaq Connections.lnk = C:\Program Files\Compaq Connections\1940576\Program\BackWeb-1940576.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {03177121-226B-11D4-B0BE-005004AD3039} (UploaderCtrl Class) - http://members2.club...tl_uploader.cab
O16 - DPF: {08BEF711-06DA-48B2-9534-802ECAA2E4F9} (PlxInstall Class) - https://www.plaxo.co...laxoInstall.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {7F8C8173-AD80-4807-AA75-5672F22B4582} (ICSScanner Class) - http://download.zone...canner37390.cab
O16 - DPF: {A7ECD556-D6F6-4F41-8C6B-14AB246801A0} (Secure Delivery) - http://kdx.kontiki.c...ient403/kdx.cab
O16 - DPF: {FE0BD779-44EE-4A4B-AA2E-743C63F2E5E6} (IWinAmpActiveX Class) - http://pdl.stream.ao.../ampx_en_dl.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Internet Security Service (NISSERV) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISSERV.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton Internet Security Accounts Manager (NISUM) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Internet Security Proxy Service (SymProxySvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\SymProxySvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: V2i Protector - PowerQuest Corporation - C:\Program Files\PowerQuest\Drive Image 7.0\Agent\PQV2iSvc.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

I am so glad i found this site and hope someone can help. thank you - :tazz:

Advertisements

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hello thespia and welcome to Geeks to Go

As an introduction, please note that I am not Superhuman, I do not know everything, but what I do know has taken me years to learn. I am happy to pass on this information to you, but please bear in mind that I am also fallible.

Please note that you should have Administrator rights to perform the fixes. Also note that multiple identity PC’s (family PC’s) present a different problem; please tell me if your PC has more than one individual’s setting, but continue with the fix.

Before we get underway, you may wish to print these instructions for easy reference during the fix, although please be aware that many of the required URLs are hyperlinks in the red names shown on your screen. Part of the fix may require you to be in Safe Mode, which will not allow you to access the internet, or my instructions!

You don’t have a lot of malware, which is not surprising with the scans you have run. I can’t see any sign of Blackworm, but we can run the fix just in case. Let’s see what we can do with the first sweep.

Firstly could you please disable Webroot's Spy Sweeper from running during the fix, it may just hinder our attempts to change anything.

Please open Spybot S & D, and turn off Resident Teatimer. Do this by clicking Mode at the top of the screen, choose Advanced Mode then Tools and then Resident and unchecking Teatimer. It will hinder our attempts to clear out some files that need to be removed.

Also please disable Ewido Guard from running for the same reason. Open Ewido>Status and remove the Guard option. You may be required to reboot for the change to take effect.

When your PC has been declared clean, please only enable one of those three programmes to run in real-time. All others should be used as “on demand” scanners. Having more than one antispyware programme running in real-time will cause slowness and even conflicts.

To start please download the following programmes, we will run them later. Please save them to a place that you will remember, I suggest the Desktop:
CCleaner
Blackmail Removal Tool .
  • Double-click Antinyxem-EN.exe to start the removal tool.
  • The program will scan all running processes, and then you will be able to click the Scan button.
  • Click Scan to begin the tool, and then allow it to run.
Please re-open HiJackThis and scan. Check the boxes next to all the entries listed below.

R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: RawExecAction Object - {18898424-E3AB-4BA9-8E8D-5434B1CECA75} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\gebyv.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcxMonitor] ALCXMNTR.EXE
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe

Now close all windows other than HiJackThis, then click Fix Checked. Please now reboot into safe mode. Here's how:

Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap the F8 key. A menu should appear where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

Please set your system to show all files; please see here if you're unsure how to do this.

Please delete these files (if present) using Windows Explorer:

PowerReg Scheduler.exeuse search to find this file

Close Windows Explorer

Now we must hide the files we revealed earlier by reversing the process, this is an important safeguard to stop important system files being deleted by accident.

There is almost certainly bound to be some junk (leftover bits and pieces) on your system that is doing nothing but taking up space. I would recommend that you run CCleaner. Install it, update it, check the default setting in the left-hand pane, ensure you uncheck old prefetch data found under the system tab, and under the heading of Utilities uncheck Ewido Security Suite log, then click Analyze> Run Cleaner. You may be fairly surprised by how much it finds. Also click Issues then Scan for issues – fix selected issues

Post back a fresh HijackThis log (from normal mode) and I will take another look.

thespia

thespia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Dear Phil,

thank you for responding-I am following your instructions and had a quick question. Re: key. A menu should appear where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

Please set your system to show all files; please see here if you're unsure how to do this.

Please delete these files (if present) using Windows Explorer:

I am in safe mode and have located 3 files or alcxmntr. Should I delete all of them? they are:
ALCXMNTR
ALCXMNTR.EXE-30324980.pf
ALCXMNTR in C:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0014\DriverFiles

my hunch is to get rid of all of 'em but wanted to double check with you first

thespia

thespia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
A friend of mine said to definitely delete all the Alecx files so I did.

Followed all you directions to the letter. Thank you they were very clear and easy to follow. Everything went off without a hitch but when I went to update CCleaner unfortunately for some reason my browser still does not work. i tried both IE and Aol's browser. I just get this:
The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.

Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

I can't get any page to come up-so I couldn't update it but ran CCleaner.There was a ton of junk it removed, I was surprised. thank you. I was wondering if you had any suggestions on how to get my browser working again? I am wondering if the malware somehow messed up my settings but don't know what settings to check. Once again i can still sign on to AOL and get and receive e-mail though through AOL.

Also the blackmail program did not reveal anything, so I guess there was no blackworm.

here are the results of the latest Hijackthis log:

Scan saved at 2:14:22 PM, on 3/18/2006

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealOne Player\RealPlay.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://srch-qus10.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://srch-qus10.hpwis.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://qus10.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ycomp5,1,1,0.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD05] c:\Program Files\HP\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Sunkist2k] C:\Program Files\Multimedia Card Reader\shwicon2k.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X83 Button Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\LEXMAR~1\ACMonitor_X83.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X83 Button Manager] C:\PROGRA~1\LEXMAR~1\AcBtnMgr_X83.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PrinTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\printray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [{0228e555-4f9c-4e35-a3ec-b109a192b4c2}] C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\G001-1.0.25.0\gnotify.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PlaxoUpdate] C:\Program Files\Plaxo\2.2.3.5\InstallStub.exe -a
O4 - Startup: Camio Viewer.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sierra Imaging\Image Expert\IXApplet.exe
O4 - Startup: spamsubtract.lnk = C:\Program Files\interMute\SpamSubtract\SpamSub.exe
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Compaq Connections.lnk = C:\Program Files\Compaq Connections\1940576\Program\BackWeb-1940576.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {03177121-226B-11D4-B0BE-005004AD3039} (UploaderCtrl Class) - http://members2.club...tl_uploader.cab
O16 - DPF: {08BEF711-06DA-48B2-9534-802ECAA2E4F9} (PlxInstall Class) - https://www.plaxo.co...laxoInstall.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {7F8C8173-AD80-4807-AA75-5672F22B4582} (ICSScanner Class) - http://download.zone...canner37390.cab
O16 - DPF: {A7ECD556-D6F6-4F41-8C6B-14AB246801A0} (Secure Delivery) - http://kdx.kontiki.c...ient403/kdx.cab
O16 - DPF: {FE0BD779-44EE-4A4B-AA2E-743C63F2E5E6} (IWinAmpActiveX Class) - http://pdl.stream.ao.../ampx_en_dl.cab
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Internet Security Service (NISSERV) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISSERV.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton Internet Security Accounts Manager (NISUM) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Internet Security Proxy Service (SymProxySvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\SymProxySvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: V2i Protector - PowerQuest Corporation - C:\Program Files\PowerQuest\Drive Image 7.0\Agent\PQV2iSvc.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

thespia

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hello again

Thanks for the info. Let's get you browsing again. Please visit: http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ and download Firefox. When asked, allow it to import settings etc from MSIE.

Your HJT log is negative, so I must look deeper at what is wrong with your PC.

Download:WinPFind

Right Click the Zip Folder and Select "Extract All"

Don't use it yet!

Reboot into Safe Mode: please see here if you are not sure how to do this.

From the WinPFind folder-> Doubleclick WinPFind.exe and Click "Start Scan"

It will scan the entire System, so please be patient!

One you see "Scan Complete"-> a log (WinPFind.txt) will be automatically generated in the WinPFind folder.

Restart normally and post the contents of WinPFind.txt

Download:
RKFiles.zip

Create a new folder called C:\Antispyware\RKFiles

Extract the contents of RKFiles.zip into this new RKFiles folder.

Please now reboot into safe mode. Here's how:

Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap the F8 key. A menu should appear where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

Open the C:\Antispyware\RKFiles folder * Locate and double-click the RKFILES.BAT to run this tool.
* Sit back and wait until it has finished.
* When it is finally finished a text file will open.
* Save the contents of that text file.

N.B.: It should save by default to C:\Log.txt

Reboot back to Normal Mode.

thespia

thespia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi. Posting this now for when you next have some time.

I loaded up Firefox and to my dismay it was not able to connect to a site. Note: I am able to ping sites. I was doing some reading and if these logs all look ok I have a hypothesis, though not so sure with my limited knowledge how good it is. If the logs are good maybe i have a winsock problem caused by the earlier malware. I have heard this happens, especially with AOL on dialup. If that is the case I am kinda scared as that could be difficult for me to repair and I am concerned about messing up things and being unable to fix them.

Here are the logs ready for your analysis:

WinPFind

WARNING: not all files found by this scanner are bad. Consult with a knowledgable person before proceeding.

If you see a message in the titlebar saying "Not responding..." you can ignore it. Windows somethimes displays this message due to the high volume of disk I/O. As long as the hard disk light is flashing, the program is still working properly.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Windows OS and Versions »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
Product Name: Microsoft Windows XP Current Build: Service Pack 2 Current Build Number: 2600
Internet Explorer Version: 6.0.2900.2180

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Checking Selected Standard Folders »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

Checking %SystemDrive% folder...

Checking %ProgramFilesDir% folder...

Checking %WinDir% folder...

Checking %System% folder...
PEC2 8/15/2003 11:40:04 PM 41397 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dfrg.msc
PTech 8/3/2005 9:33:42 AM 520456 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\LegitCheckControl.DLL
PECompact2 3/9/2006 4:10:36 PM 4799320 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MRT.exe
aspack 3/9/2006 4:10:36 PM 4799320 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MRT.exe
aspack 8/3/2004 11:56:36 PM 708096 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Umonitor 8/3/2004 11:56:44 PM 657920 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\rasdlg.dll
winsync 8/15/2003 6:41:44 PM 1309184 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wbdbase.deu

Checking %System%\Drivers folder and sub-folders...
PTech 8/3/2004 9:41:38 PM 1309184 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\mtlstrm.sys

Checking the Windows folder and sub-folders for system and hidden files within the last 60 days...
3/18/2006 5:41:54 PM S 2048 C:\WINDOWS\bootstat.dat
3/18/2006 2:04:58 PM H 54156 C:\WINDOWS\QTFont.qfn
3/18/2006 3:41:04 PM H 0 C:\WINDOWS\LastGood\INF\oem88.inf
3/18/2006 3:41:04 PM H 0 C:\WINDOWS\LastGood\INF\oem88.PNF
3/16/2006 5:26:00 PM HS 38925 C:\WINDOWS\system32\jkhhi.dll
3/18/2006 5:42:06 PM H 12288 C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default.LOG
3/18/2006 5:42:10 PM H 1024 C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM.LOG
3/18/2006 5:41:56 PM H 16384 C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY.LOG
3/18/2006 5:42:48 PM H 221184 C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software.LOG
3/18/2006 5:42:02 PM H 1097728 C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system.LOG
3/15/2006 3:30:08 PM H 1024 C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\NTUSER.DAT.LOG
3/18/2006 5:40:54 PM H 6 C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\SA.DAT

Checking for CPL files...
Microsoft Corporation 8/3/2004 11:56:58 PM 68608 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\access.cpl
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 9/20/2004 3:20:44 PM 16121856 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ALSNDMGR.CPL
Microsoft Corporation 8/3/2004 11:56:58 PM 549888 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\appwiz.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 8/3/2004 11:56:58 PM 110592 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\bthprops.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 8/3/2004 11:56:58 PM 135168 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\desk.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 8/3/2004 11:56:58 PM 80384 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\firewall.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 8/3/2004 11:56:58 PM 155136 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\hdwwiz.cpl
Intel Corporation 11/18/2003 7:19:24 AM 98304 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxcpl.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 8/3/2004 11:56:58 PM 358400 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\inetcpl.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 8/3/2004 11:56:58 PM 129536 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\intl.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 8/3/2004 11:56:58 PM 380416 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\irprops.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 8/3/2004 11:56:58 PM 68608 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\joy.cpl
Sun Microsystems 1/26/2004 2:24:06 AM 61555 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\jpicpl32.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 8/15/2003 5:49:58 PM 187904 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\main.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 8/3/2004 11:56:58 PM 618496 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\mmsys.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 8/15/2003 5:57:52 PM 35840 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ncpa.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 8/3/2004 11:56:58 PM 25600 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\netsetup.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 8/3/2004 11:56:58 PM 257024 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\nusrmgr.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 8/3/2004 11:56:58 PM 32768 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\odbccp32.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 8/3/2004 11:56:58 PM 114688 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\powercfg.cpl
Apple Computer, Inc. 4/8/2004 1:12:42 PM 323072 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\QuickTime.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 8/3/2004 11:56:58 PM 298496 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\sysdm.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 8/15/2003 6:04:26 PM 28160 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\telephon.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 8/3/2004 11:56:58 PM 94208 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\timedate.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 8/3/2004 11:56:58 PM 148480 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wscui.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 5/26/2005 3:16:30 AM 174360 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wuaucpl.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 8/15/2003 5:49:58 PM 187904 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dllcache\main.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 8/15/2003 5:57:52 PM 35840 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dllcache\ncpa.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 8/15/2003 6:04:26 PM 28160 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dllcache\telephon.cpl
Microsoft Corporation 5/26/2005 3:16:30 AM 174360 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dllcache\wuaucpl.cpl
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 12/12/2003 3:40:30 AM 14193152 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ReinstallBackups\0014\DriverFiles\ALSNDMGR.CPL

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Checking Selected Startup Folders »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

Checking files in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Startup folder...
3/18/2006 3:41:46 PM 738 C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\AOL 8.0 Tray Icon.lnk
3/18/2006 3:41:46 PM 776 C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\AOL Companion.lnk
5/27/2004 2:18:48 PM 1903 C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Compaq Connections.lnk
1/26/2004 1:28:36 AM HS 84 C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini
1/26/2004 3:16:42 AM 1808 C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk
2/20/2005 3:29:58 PM 1785 C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk
5/28/2004 11:12:00 AM 1733 C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Microsoft Office.lnk
1/26/2004 4:45:56 AM 675 C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk
7/9/2004 5:53:54 PM 1526 C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\WinZip Quick Pick.lnk

Checking files in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data folder...
1/25/2004 5:17:30 PM HS 62 C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\desktop.ini
1/26/2004 3:42:58 AM 928 C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\hpzinstall.log

Checking files in %USERPROFILE%\Startup folder...
1/26/2004 1:28:36 AM HS 84 C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.YOUR-XB2X7J77GN\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini

Checking files in %USERPROFILE%\Application Data folder...
1/25/2004 5:17:30 PM HS 62 C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.YOUR-XB2X7J77GN\Application Data\desktop.ini

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Checking Selected Registry Keys »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform]
SV1 =

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ewido
{57BD36D7-CE32-4600-9B1C-1A0C47EFC02E} = C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\context.dll
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Offline Files
{750fdf0e-2a26-11d1-a3ea-080036587f03} = %SystemRoot%\System32\cscui.dll
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Open With
{09799AFB-AD67-11d1-ABCD-00C04FC30936} = %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Open With EncryptionMenu
{A470F8CF-A1E8-4f65-8335-227475AA5C46} = %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Symantec.Norton.Antivirus.IEContextMenu
{5345A4D5-41EB-4A2F-9616-CE1D4F6C35B2} = C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\WinZip
{E0D79304-84BE-11CE-9641-444553540000} = C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\WZSHLSTB.DLL
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{a2a9545d-a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8}
Start Menu Pin = %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\SpySweeper
{7C9D5882-CB4A-4090-96C8-430BFE8B795B} = C:\PROGRA~1\Webroot\SPYSWE~1\SSCtxMnu.dll
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Symantec.Norton.Antivirus.IEContextMenu
{5345A4D5-41EB-4A2F-9616-CE1D4F6C35B2} = C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\WinZip

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\EncryptionMenu
{A470F8CF-A1E8-4f65-8335-227475AA5C46} = %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ewido
{57BD36D7-CE32-4600-9B1C-1A0C47EFC02E} = C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\context.dll
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Offline Files
{750fdf0e-2a26-11d1-a3ea-080036587f03} = %SystemRoot%\System32\cscui.dll
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Sharing
{f81e9010-6ea4-11ce-a7ff-00aa003ca9f6} = ntshrui.dll
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\WinZip

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shellex\ColumnHandlers]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shellex\ColumnHandlers\{0D2E74C4-3C34-11d2-A27E-00C04FC30871}
= %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shellex\ColumnHandlers\{24F14F01-7B1C-11d1-838f-0000F80461CF}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shellex\ColumnHandlers\{24F14F02-7B1C-11d1-838f-0000F80461CF}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shellex\ColumnHandlers\{66742402-F9B9-11D1-A202-0000F81FEDEE}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shellex\ColumnHandlers\{FED7043D-346A-414D-ACD7-550D052499A7}
= C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\dBShell.dll

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects]
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670}
Yahoo! Companion BHO = C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ycomp5,1,1,0.dll
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3}
AcroIEHlprObj Class = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}
= C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872}
CNavExtBho Class = C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{4D5C8C25-D075-11d0-B416-00C04FB90376}
&Tip of the Day = %SystemRoot%\System32\shdocvw.dll

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ToolBar]
{42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} = Norton AntiVirus : C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501}
MenuText = Sun Java Console :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263}
ButtonText = Research :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683}
ButtonText = Messenger : C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars]
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{32683183-48a0-441b-a342-7c2a440a9478}
=

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar]
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\ShellBrowser

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
SunJavaUpdateSched C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
hpsysdrv c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
HPHUPD05 c:\Program Files\HP\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe
HPHmon05 C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
KBD C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
UpdateManager "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
VTTimer VTTimer.exe
AGRSMMSG AGRSMMSG.exe
PS2 C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
Sunkist2k C:\Program Files\Multimedia Card Reader\shwicon2k.exe
Reminder "C:\Windows\Creator\Remind_XP.exe"
Lexmark X83 Button Monitor C:\PROGRA~1\LEXMAR~1\ACMonitor_X83.exe
Lexmark X83 Button Manager C:\PROGRA~1\LEXMAR~1\AcBtnMgr_X83.exe
PrinTray C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\printray.exe
mmtask C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
NAV Agent C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
iamapp C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\IAMAPP.EXE
Microsoft Works Update Detection C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
WinampAgent C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
iTunesHelper C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
QuickTime Task "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
Symantec NetDriver Monitor C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
{0228e555-4f9c-4e35-a3ec-b109a192b4c2} C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\G001-1.0.25.0\gnotify.exe
TkBellExe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
UserFaultCheck %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents]
IMAIL Installed = 1
MAPI Installed = 1
MSFS Installed = 1

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
RecordNow!

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\load]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\run]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\NonEnum
{BDEADF00-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F} = C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\WEBFOL~1\MSONSEXT.DLL
{6DFD7C5C-2451-11d3-A299-00C04F8EF6AF} =
{0DF44EAA-FF21-4412-828E-260A8728E7F1} =

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Ratings

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system
dontdisplaylastusername 0
legalnoticecaption
legalnoticetext
shutdownwithoutlogon 1
undockwithoutlogon 1

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies]

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer
NoDriveTypeAutoRun 145

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad]
PostBootReminder {7849596a-48ea-486e-8937-a2a3009f31a9} = %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
CDBurn {fbeb8a05-beee-4442-804e-409d6c4515e9} = %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
WebCheck {E6FB5E20-DE35-11CF-9C87-00AA005127ED} = %SystemRoot%\System32\webcheck.dll
SysTray {35CEC8A3-2BE6-11D2-8773-92E220524153} = C:\WINDOWS\System32\stobject.dll

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
UserInit = C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,
Shell = Explorer.exe
System =

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\crypt32chain
= crypt32.dll

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\cryptnet
= cryptnet.dll

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\cscdll
= cscdll.dll

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\igfxcui
= igfxsrvc.dll

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\ScCertProp
= wlnotify.dll

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\Schedule
= wlnotify.dll

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\sclgntfy
= sclgntfy.dll

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\SensLogn
= WlNotify.dll

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\termsrv
= wlnotify.dll

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\wlballoon
= wlnotify.dll

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\WRNotifier
= WRLogonNTF.dll

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\Your Image File Name Here without a path
Debugger = ntsd -d

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
AppInit_DLLs

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Scan Complete »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
WinPFind v1.4.1 - Log file written to "WinPFind.Txt" in the WinPFind folder.
Scan completed on 3/18/2006 5:49:45 PM

RK log

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\rkfiles

PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL FILES FOUND BY THIS METHOD ARE NOT BAD FILES, THERE MIGHT BE LEGIT FILES LISTED AND PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHILE FIXING. IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF WHAT IT IS LEAVE THEM ALONE.
Files Found in system Folder............
------------------------
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dfrg.msc: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQAAAAAwGpEc213

Files Found in all users startup Folder............
------------------------
Files Found in all users windows Folder............
------------------------
Finished
bye

Let me know your thoughts and thank you for sharing your knowledge and help. Makes me feel a lot less lost.

:tazz:

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hello again

WinPfind shows one real bad file (Vundo) possibly a leftover. I will run both fixes.

A winsock error normally shows either in HJT, if a malicious file attacks, or in WinPfind otherwise. We will run one fix for safety.

Please download WinsockFix

Double click WinsockFix to open the programme. Click FIX and then YES and the tool will check and repair the winsock and when complete will reboot your PC.

VundoFix.exe is a removal tool developed to remove Virtumonde infections. To use the tool follow the instructions below.
Please download VundoFix.exe to your desktop.
  • Double-click VundoFix.exe to run it.
  • Put a check next to Run VundoFix as a task.
  • You will receive a message saying vundofix will close and re-open in a minute or less. Click OK
  • When VundoFix re-opens, click the Scan for Vundo button.
  • Once it's done scanning, click the Remove Vundo button.
  • You will receive a prompt asking if you want to remove the files, click YES
  • Once you click yes, your desktop will go blank as it starts removing Vundo.
  • When completed, it will prompt that it will shutdown your computer, click OK.
  • Turn your computer back on.
  • Please post the contents of C:\vundofix.txt

Please download The Avenger by Swandog46 to your Desktop.
  • Click on Avenger.zip to open the file
  • Extract avenger.exe to your desktop
Copy all the text contained in the code box below to your Clipboard by highlighting it and pressing (Ctrl+C):

Files to delete:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\jkhhi.dll

Note: the above code was created specifically for this user. If you are not this user, do NOT follow these directions as they could damage the workings of your system.

Now, start The Avenger programme by clicking on its icon on your desktop.
  • Under "Script file to execute" choose "Input Script Manually".
  • Now click on the Magnifying Glass icon which will open a new window titled "View/edit script"
  • Paste the text copied to clipboard into this window by pressing (Ctrl+V).
  • Click Done
  • Now click on the Green Light to begin execution of the script
  • Answer "Yes" twice when prompted.
4. The Avenger will automatically do the following:
  • It will Restart your computer. ( In cases where the code to execute contains "Drivers to Unload", The Avenger will actually restart your system twice.)
  • Upon reboot, it will briefly open a black command window on your desktop, this is normal.
  • After the restart, it creates a log file that should open with the results of Avenger’s actions. This log file will be located at C:\avenger.txt
  • The Avenger will also have backed up all the files, etc., that you asked it to delete, and will have zipped them and moved the zip archives to C:\avenger\backup.zip.
5. Please copy & paste the content of c:\avenger.txt into your reply along with a fresh HJT log by using Add Reply

Any improvement?

thespia

thespia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi Phil.

I downloaded Winsock Fix but when I went to back up my registry before running the fix I got error messages and was unable to. I was wary of running it without a backup so I did not. Any advice, thoughts?

I already had run Vundo and didn't realize it made a txt file saving my results. Here are the results from my positive Vundo from a few days ago when this problem first reared its head-I hope it helps:

VundoFix V4.2.22
Scan started at 10:19:37 AM 3/17/2006

Listing files found while scanning....

C:\WINDOWS\system32\vybeg.bak1
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vybeg.tmp
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vybeg.ini
C:\WINDOWS\system32\gebyv.dll
 Attempting to delete C:\WINDOWS\system32\vybeg.bak1
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vybeg.bak1 Has been deleted!

Attempting to delete C:\WINDOWS\system32\vybeg.ini
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vybeg.ini Has been deleted!

Attempting to delete C:\WINDOWS\system32\gebyv.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\gebyv.dll Has been deleted!

Performing Repairs to the registry.
Done!

I RERAN Vundo just a bit ago per your instruction but no infection was found.

Here is the logfile created from Avenger:

Logfile of The Avenger version 1, by Swandog46
Running from registry key:
\Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\caqktjkb

Script file located at: \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\olhyklqn.txt
Script file opened successfully.

Script file read successfully

Backups directory opened successfully at C:\Avenger

Beginning to process script file:

File C:\WINDOWS\system32\jkhhi.dll deleted successfully.

Completed script processing.

Finished!  Terminate.

My latest Hijack This log:

Scan saved at 12:52:58 PM, on 3/19/2006

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\AOL 8.0\aoltray.exe
C:\Program Files\AOL Companion\companion.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

O4 - Global Startup: AOL 8.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\AOL 8.0\aoltray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: AOL Companion.lnk = C:\Program Files\AOL Companion\companion.exe

I am very sorry in going over your posts I realized I missed something that is perhaps important you mentioned in your very first post. I do have a multi user computer with settings for two users. Even so I am the only one that uses it. I originally set it up that way because I was trying to get my mom interested in the computer to no avail-she wanted nothing to do with it. I guess I should delete the other account since it is never used.

I also had a question concerning the positive winspy results found in Spy Sweeper-it has quarantined a file called c:\windows\dll that it describes as Win-Spy monitor. Is it possible this is a false positive? The only person with access to my system is myself and I did not install this. Could it be installed remotely?

As far as my system everything seems ok but I still cannot get connection with any web pages but can send and receive e-mail

Maybe that will fix itself if I am somehow able to make a backup of the registry and then run winsock fix. I am crossing my fingers.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

thanks, thespia

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hello again

Before I analyse your logs, please run the vundo fix again. I did realise that you had killed a vundo infection before from the file name, but I need to see if there is a re-infection. if there are any *.bak or *.ini files around, Vundofix should get them all.

With the Winsock possible problem, run WinsockFix. If you want to back up your registry, by all means do so by clicking START>RUN>type in REGEDIT> hit ENTER>FILE>EXPORT and at the prompt, export your registry settings to a place you will be able to find it if required>APPLY>OK

Again I ask the question, any improvement?

thespia

thespia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I ran Vundo and it did not find anything.

When I attempted to make a backup of the registry by going to Start Run and entering REGEDIT> I get an error message saying:

Windows cannot find 'REGEDIT>'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

Advertisements

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
The word you should type in is REGEDIT or regedit doesn't matter which. This symbol > means move on to the next part.

This instruction START>RUN>type in REGEDIT> hit ENTER>FILE>EXPORT shows the > symbol being used to mean next or move onto the next part. It's a symbol of sequence.

thespia

thespia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi Phil,

Thank you for explaining that to me. This is the first time I have had to do anything like this. You are a fantastic teacher and i appreciate your patience with me :)

I ran the Winsock fix and that did the trick!!!!!! :tazz: I am able to surf again. Thank you so very much, you really saved the day.

I have a few questions on how best to maintain my malware free condition in future.

* I have Spyblaster and Spysweeper running. Should I deactivate Spyblaster?

* When I activated Spysweepers shields on the Hosts File tab I get a positive for a threat, it says:
Address IP Address in Hosts File Correct IP Address

localhost -blocked- -Blocked Address: ignored-

! Possibly Hijacked Address.
--------------------------------------

I have the option to delete the above entry, should I delete it?

*Also on Shields I do not have Startup Programs checked as it warns against instability if you do this, should it be checked?

*Same question re the Browser Add-ons Shield.

*I do have BHO Shield checked. Should I also check Edit BHOs used by Internet Explorer?

*Should I delete the previously quarantined items Spysweeper found including the Winspy file, or should I leave them quarantined?

***My system seems to be running fine now. The only thing I notice that I did not notice before-wherever I go on the web Norton Security alerts me to a cookie being placed by 127.0.0.101 I did a DNS trace and it came up consumer. I just want to make sure it is not symptomatic of a browser hijack or trojan process.

Thanks for answering these last queries.
Thanks again, headed over to do what I can as far as a donation.

thespia

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hello again

Thank you for explaining that to me. This is the first time I have had to do anything like this. You are a fantastic teacher and i appreciate your patience with me We all have to learn

I ran the Winsock fix and that did the trick!!!!!! I am able to surf again. Thank you so very much, you really saved the day. Great news.

I have a few questions on how best to maintain my malware free condition in future.

* I have Spyblaster and Spysweeper running. Should I deactivate Spyblaster?
If you have Webroot's SpySweeper protecting in real-time, you must not have any other antispyware programme running in real-time alongside. All other antispyware programmes you may wish to have should be used for on-demand scanning. Your last log showed both SpySweeper and Ewido Guard. My advice is leave SpySweeper enabled in real-time

* When I activated Spysweepers shields on the Hosts File tab I get a positive for a threat, it says:
Address IP Address in Hosts File Correct IP Address

localhost -blocked- -Blocked Address: ignored-

! Possibly Hijacked Address.
--------------------------------------

I have the option to delete the above entry, should I delete it?

*Also on Shields I do not have Startup Programs checked as it warns against instability if you do this, should it be checked?

*Same question re the Browser Add-ons Shield.

*I do have BHO Shield checked. Should I also check Edit BHOs used by Internet Explorer?
We can easily reset the HOSTS files but you will have to disable your antispyware programmes first as they protect the registry from change. i.e. they just reverse any change made.

Download: Hoster

Please run Hoster (just double click it to open). Choose the Restore Original Hosts button and press OK.

*Should I delete the previously quarantined items Spysweeper found including the Winspy file, or should I leave them quarantined? Get rid of them. I like clean systems without bad memories.

***My system seems to be running fine now. The only thing I notice that I did not notice before-wherever I go on the web Norton Security alerts me to a cookie being placed by 127.0.0.101 I did a DNS trace and it came up consumer. I just want to make sure it is not symptomatic of a browser hijack or trojan process. Not so fast. Before you go riding off into the sunset, I would like to see a fresh HJT log from normal mode for checking and then you have to make a decision about the other account.

Thanks for answering these last queries. No problem

Thanks again, headed over to do what I can as far as a donation. Thank you very much for your generosity.

thespia

thespia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
If you have Webroot's SpySweeper protecting in real-time, you must not have any other antispyware programme running in real-time alongside. All other antispyware programmes you may wish to have should be used for on-demand scanning. Your last log showed both SpySweeper and Ewido Guard. My advice is leave SpySweeper enabled in real-time

[i]OK. According to Ewido's settings realtime protection is inactive so I should be ok.

I ran HOSTER and noticed that the suspect DNS entry picked up by Spysweeper 127.0.0.1 was the last item listed in my hosts file. After the restore I reopened HOSTER and noticed everything remained unchanged. Spysweeper still gives me that hijack browser warning referencing that local host as I had described. Every few seconds I notice a Norton Security notice that a cookie is being allowed from 127.0.0.1 as long as I am on the net. Let me know your thoughts.

Here is the latest hijack this log:

Scan saved at 11:35:35 AM, on 3/20/2006

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\AOL 8.0\aoltray.exe
C:\Program Files\AOL Companion\companion.exe

O4 - Global Startup: AOL 8.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\AOL 8.0\aoltray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: AOL Companion.lnk = C:\Program Files\AOL Companion\companion.exe

I also deleted the unused other account on my PC.

thespia

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hello again

The Hosts file 127.0.0.1 is called the MVPS Host file or more properly the "localhost" and it is a good thing not a bad thing. This will probably explain more than I can: http://www.mvps.org/...p2002/hosts.htm

The programme you ran, The Hoster will not have worked as Ewido Guard is enabled and it just reverses any changes made.

You need to do this:

Please disable Ewido Guard from running as it will hinder our attempts to change anything. Open Ewido>Status and remove the Guard option. You may be required to reboot for the change to take effect. See screenshot of REMOVE GUARD

Ewidoremove.JPG

Since you have deleted the other user account, I have to tell you........................

Congratulations! your new log is clean. :tazz: Just a little bit more to do to prevent further infection.

Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove bad files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programmes changing them. This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected.)

To reset your restore points, please note that you will need to log into your computer with an account which has full administrator access. You will know if the account has administrator access because you will be able to see the System Restore tab. If the tab is missing, you are logged in under a limited account.

(Windows XP)
1. Turn off System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
2. Reboot.

3. Turn ON System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
I recommend going to the following link and update as recommended by Microsoft. This adds more security and extra features including a pop-up blocker for Internet Explorer. Microsoft Update

Now that everything is fixed, I suggest that you consider getting these programmes to help keep the computer clean:

SPYWARE BLASTER - Blocks bad ActiveX items from installing on your computer.
MICROSOFT ANTISPYWARE - With daily updates and scans, this programme offers good security against malware.
AD-AWARE PERSONAL – A fine free malware detector and removal programme
SPYBOT S&D – Excellent free spyware detector and removal programme
GOOGLE TOOLBAR - Blocks many unwanted pop-ups in Internet Explorer.
FIREFOX - Safer alternative to the Internet Explorer web browser.
AVG ANTIVIRUS FREE EDITION - Free antivirus programme if you currently are not using one.
ZONEALARM - Free firewall programme if you currently are not using one (Windows XP has a built-in firewall).

Remember to update these frequently.

Please note that whilst there is nothing wrong in having more than one antispyware programmes for “on demand” scanning, having two or more antivirus systems is not recommended as they may well cause conflicts and slowness.

You may also want to read "How did I get infected in the first place" to learn how to better secure your computer.

Be sure to keep your Windows, antispyware and antivirus updated. :)

It just remains for me to wish you happy safe surfing - you can now ride off into the sunset if all is well.