Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN Printer needs Access to Internet

• Please log in to reply

KevinAlaska

KevinAlaska

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz:

Howdy and thanks for anyone who takes the time to simply read this.

I have the following network...

Computer A and Computer B, both have 2 networks cards in use.
1 of the eithernet cards on each of those computers runs to a Linksys router/switch then out through the DSL connection to the internet.
The other network cards on each of those computers runs to a switch which is used to connect to both computers and the network printer.

This setup was done for 2 reasons:
1- to help faster transfer of files between the two computers using the gigabit eithernet ports (yes the switch is too =P )
2- to help create additional security for both software (norton firewall) and hardware (linksys) firewalls.

Here is my problem if you want to consider it one. I consider it more of a fine tuning the network kind of thing. But I digress.

The printer tries to talk to the internet for updates etc every now and then. I wish to setup my computer (comptuer A) to allow the printer permissions to JUST talk through the ports it uses and to the IP address it is looking to get to.

I would will take a simply less restrictive way of doing this with out taking the LAN printer off the LAN and placing it on the WAN. But I would prefer to have just a restricted (IP, Port Address wise) setup in windows.

I understand that the the Linksys and mostly the Norton's Firewall are myproblem to setup (which I can handle) but how do I set up windows to keep the connection to the LAN (from computer A to B) secure wtih otu creating a opening for other things (e.g. Trojans etc) to pass through my computer (from the WAN through my Computer to the LAN)

I hope this was easy enough to read and I also hope that I have enough information for those who know how to help to help... =)

Thanks again in advance to everyone...

Cheers,

Kevin in Alaska

Advertisements

baroon

baroon

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hey, use the DSL modem configuration to block any request from the printer. As you know each of the device on TCP/IP network has an specific address assigned to it. Now just use DSL configuration to block any request from the IP address containg printer. Make sure your are not using DHCP to assign IP address. As IP address keeps changing after every session.

Hope this might help.