Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my cool mousepad

• Please log in to reply

hintswen

hintswen

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I reckon i have the coolest mousepad. Even thoe i don't NEEd a mousepad i'm using it just because it's cool!

It's the foam thing from under the lid of a scaner

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
It is 2006, and I can't understand why anyone would use a mouse when they could have a trackball! Trackballs are upside-down mice. They never need chased around the desk, picked up and repositioned, and can even sit on a surface that is not flat. You don't move your whole hand, just gentle movements by finger or thumb, depending on the style you use. I have had a split keyboard and a trackball for years, and love the ergonomincs.

Johanna

ViperKillerWannabe

ViperKillerWannabe

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Technically, trackballs are older than mice.

Why do you need a mousepad? The only reason why you had a mousepad back in the day was so you could keep crap from getting into your mouseball. In this day and age of optical mice, I fail to see the need for one.

hintswen

hintswen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
as i said, i don't need a mousepad but it's cool so i'm using it. also isn't soft, so when i have my hand on the mouse for ages it doesn't hurt as much.

Michael101

Michael101

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
i find when you use an optical mouse it slides to fast and the mouse moves to quickly so i have an old blue mouse pad that is soft and fuzzy

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
The other reason for a mousepad in if you have it on a seethrough glass surface, then an opical mouse goes funny, I myself use the mouse(optical) but have spent a lot of time learning the hotkeys so as not to take my hand from the keyboard. Can anyone here remember how to move the curser without the mouse, not meaning tabing the windows but actually arrowing the curser.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah, trackballs were around first, they also utterly useless for gaming if you play FPS(okay for RTS).

But a mouse mat you still need for optical mice or at least something down(i use a copy of new scientist) as it keeps it clean(the pads collect dust just like balls used to) and it reduces friction making it faster and easier to move the mouse a good thing for gamers.

http://www.computerh...es/ch000542.htm is this what you are looking for.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've gotta use a mouse pad with my optical mouse...the desks here at work have a funky feaux granite finish...if i don't use the pad...things go wrong

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well ive worn a huge mark in the veneer of my desk with not using something, and at a lan party i once had to use a garden table which didnt go well with the mouse either.

ViperKillerWannabe

ViperKillerWannabe

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I guess mousepads do have their place, but I haven't used one in a very long time.

Advertisements

hintswen

hintswen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Michael101, have you tried adjusting the sensetivity? when i first used a optical mouse i thught it was really weird, faster and more accurate. just a small move would be seen. but now i'm used to it :tazz:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thks scot, perfect reply.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I use a mouse pad because my desk is wood, so it damages the mouse and the desk.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I've got a Razor exactmat. I got it because my really old CIMA mat was falling apart and of course it looked cool.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hey zeus how good is the exactmat, ive got an inkling to treat myself to a good mouse mat as im thinking im gonna get a new mouse and keyboard(Zboard and MX518) with the VF900 i want so saving mysef getting two sets of shipping im probably gonna spam some of it off as an early borthday present from my folks.

So its between the razer or the steelpad 5L but im leaning towards a razer, i can read the reviews but nothing is as good as having someone to ask.

PS, Flea no bother mate, actually wish i had discovered that a couple of weeks ago when i had someone ask for something like that.