Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

EXTREMELY old screwed up PC......

• Please log in to reply

johnny boy

johnny boy

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
okay...i have this old old computer...has 80 mb ram...like 2 gig hard drive....and the cd drive and floppy drive dont work....so i cant transfer files from this comp to that one.......almost every program on it doesnt work....im jsut completely los on wut to do.....lol.....at first i was thinking of hooking my external CD burner up to it, but then realized that it wont act as a CD drive.....and then i realized..it doesnt even have a USB port..lol.....so i dont even know why im messin with it...lol

Anyone even have any ideas on how to resurect it? haha

And im not sure if this is right forum

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Am I right in thinking you want to wipe the drive completely & reinstall Windows from scratch on this computer?

johnny boy

johnny boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
yes....but......i cant use the CD drive or floppy drive..for some reason they wont work..CD drive wont even open..so how would i do that?

johnny boy

johnny boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
if i jstu wiped the drive..would it make the Cd drive work again? lol

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Unlikely. Which version of windows do you have on the old system & are you planning to reinstall the same one?

johnny boy

johnny boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
windows 98....and i dont care which version i re-install..i jstu wana see if i can get it to work right again..lol

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, in that case your best bet is this :

Remove the hard drive from the computer & connect it up to a working machine. If the working machine only has a single hard drive on the primary controller (i.e on the ribbon cable), then you can configure the 2GB drive as a slave & attach it to the same cable. Alternatively, if you only have one drive (usually a CDROM/DVD drive) on the secondary cable, you can configure the 2GB as a slave & attach it to that cable instead. This is assuming that the optical drive is set as a master of course.

Boot up the working system with both hard drives attached. Once Windows has loaded up, insert the Win98 CD & copy the [win98] folder from the CD onto the old drive.

Make sure you have at least 500MB of free space on the old drive left after copying the win98 folder. If you don't have enough space, then you'll need to delete some stuff. Do not delete any files in the root of this drive. It should be safe to delete the program files folder though, as well as the temp folder etc.

Shutdown & remove the 2GB drive. Reconfigure it as a master & reconnect it in the old system.

Boot up the old system. As soon as the first screen disappears (i.e memory count & drive detection), press the F8 key a few times at 1-2 second intervals. This should bring up the boot menu.

Select command prompt only from the boot menu & press <ENTER>

The system will boot to command prompt. Type the following commands in, pressing <ENTER> after each line :
cd\
cd win98
setup

This should start the win98 installation off. When prompted, tell it to install to a folder other than c:\windows.

Quick word of warning....
If you don't feel confident enough to connect the drive up to a working system etc, then DON'T. It would be safer in this case to try & get the CDROM drive & floppy drive working on the old system

johnny boy

johnny boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
i would do what you said....but i cant do that right now...mom has to use this comp for an online course and she doesnt want me doing anything with it...shes scared to even let me install some more RAM and a new vid card........So how would i go about getting the CD drive working? or floppy drive?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK. We'll start with the floppy drive first.
Boot up to windows & insert a floppy disk. Open My Computer & double click on the floppy drive icon.

Does the LED on the floppy drive light up? Does it attempt to read the disk (i.e make whirry noises)? What happens next?

johnny boy

johnny boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
when i stick floppy in..i beleive it says, "file or device cannot be found"

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yeah but about the LED on the floppy drive? Does it light up at all when you try to access the floppy disk?

Also are you using a floppy disk that you know is OK? i.e have you tested the disk on another computer?