Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Missing / Corrupt file: nfts.sys

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
so I was sitting on my other computer talking on AIM and listening to music, when the screen went black. everything stopped. I figured it was a power surge, but the fan was still running.

So I restart it. I get a message halfway into startup that

"Windows can not start because the following file is corrupt or missing: Ntfs.sys"

so i restart it again, and it didn't even make it that far. I got several different screens each restart, and tried popping in the System restore disc that came with the computer, and the only option its giving me, that worked at least, was to reformat the drive.

that is the last thing i want to do.

please help :[

edit: there was also another missing .sys file, but i can't remember it off the top of my head.
and thanks in advance/hello everybody.

Edited by emogencyroom, 18 March 2006 - 10:21 PM.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Hey there emogencyroom, welcome to GTG forums. Let me help you out:

1. Use the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD to restart your computer.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to select the To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R option.
3. Type the number of the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console, and then press ENTER.
4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted, and then press ENTER. If no administrator password exists, just press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, type the following commands (press ENTER after each command):
cd \windows\system32\drivers

ren ntfs.sys ntfs.old
(Note This step renames the corrupted Ntfs.sys file to Ntfs.old. If the Ntfs.sys file is not found, the file is missing.)
6. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
copy cd:\i386\ntfs.sys drive:\windows\system32\drivers
Where cd is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD, and drive is the drive where you installed Windows XP.
7. Remove the Windows XP CD from your CD-ROM drive, type quit at a command prompt, and then press ENTER to quit the Recovery Console.
8. Restart the computer.

Cool, this should fix your problem. And when you remeber the old .sys file that doesnt work let me know, this is to prevent further problems from occuring.

Great :tazz:

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi friends,
I had the same problem, but unfortunately,
when i start the Recovery Console, pressing "R",
the system tries to check out the disk and stops with a
blue page, telling that Windows stopped for a grave problem
to avoid greater problem.

In the bottom of the screen appears the message:

NTFS.SYS - Address F83D7F81 base at F8388000, Datestamp 41107eea.

I guess that some virus damaged this file, because it's since
some days that i cannot delete some Spywares with Spyware Doctor;
the program detected some Spyware presence, but told me that only the
next boot it could delete them.
This message repeated for each reboot, finding every time the
same Spyware presence.

I'm really blocked; could someone tell me what can i do?
Thank you
Best Regards from Fabrizio (Italy, Champion of the World!!!)

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
some more info: