Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

some MACs crash on my site, why?

• Please log in to reply

David W Solomons

David W Solomons

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all
This looks like a very useful forum, so I hope some folk here can point me in the right direction.
The story is: I redesigned my website completely, using the open source css file and template of Andreas Viklund.
My site http://www.dwsolo.com now looks much better than the clunky version that I had prior to March 16th of this year. However, I understand that some MAC users find that it crashes (specifically the MAC10 using IE).
So my question is: does this have to do with some error on my part (eg leaving out a tag somewhere) or is it a basic error in the css file (which I did not tweak but used as found from Andreas's site.)
By way of comparison - do MACs that crash on my site also crash on Andreas' own site (http://andreasviklund.com/)
I should explain that I always use Notepad when I write my web pages, so I have to concede the possibility of some irregularity in the html coding, but since the pages work fine in Firefox, Safari and Windows IE (on PCs and MACs), I assume I can't have gone too far wrong - or can I?
Grateful for any tweak suggestions and general feedback.
Kind regards
David
www.dwsolo.com

Edited by David W Solomons, 18 March 2006 - 11:55 PM.

Advertisements

The Architect

The Architect

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Yes indeed, Macs may run up against problems when displaying CSS-coded web pages, particularly those running I.E 5.x. Without knowing what you mean by "it crashes," I can suggest a couple of good sites that list known bugs, along with possible solutions. They are:

CSS Bugs in IE5 for Mac
IE5 Mac: CSS bugs and oddities

RichInStyle.com has a comprehensive list of bugs that affect all known browsers - there's probably TOO much info here, though!

By the way, coding your pages in Notepad and then saving with an HTML extension will not affect the way your page displays in a browser.

If you can provide a screen shot (or even a description) of the problem your page has in a Mac, perhaps we can offer a more on-target solution!

Edited by The Architect, 19 March 2006 - 05:19 PM.

David W Solomons

David W Solomons

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Architect
Thanks for those links, I'll see if there's anything there that helps...
Not having a MAC myself I can only go by what MAC users tell me, so I'll see if I can get further info from them. Back later

David W Solomons

David W Solomons

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi again
I've now received a reply from one of my MAC user friends. He says: "Explorer is the only browser that crashes on my computer. And only the OS X version (I can boot into OS9 on my computer). Firefox, Camino and Safari all work ok as does IE in Classic mode. Enclosed is a converted JPG of the IE error message. As you can see, in OSX only IE crashes, not the whole system."
and he enclosed the attached jpg. Does this help identify the problem any more closely?
Kind regards
David
http://www.dwsolo.com

IEcrash.jpg

David W Solomons

David W Solomons

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
BTW I now hear it was MAC IE 5.2 - 'nuff said, I fancy....

The Architect

The Architect

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Sorry, David, the error message doesn't help (me!) - but it was worth a shot!

Not saying we're done here, though.....!