Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networked, but no networky

• Please log in to reply

ComputerClown

ComputerClown

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello there, Fellow Geeks.

I am having a problem with our 2 computers. I just want a home network so I can use my wife's printer. A few months ago we got a router so we could both play Diablo together. The game works fine and we can both play at the same time using the TCP/IP connection.

I tried to get the 2 computers to recognize each other and ran the Network Setup Wizard. We both have XP, only mine is a PRO version and hers is a Home version. We both have Norton Antivirus but she also has Norton System Works and Norton Internet Security, which came with her computer when we bought it. We've had the odd problem with malware since we got her new computer last summer but we've tuned up both machines and they're both pretty stable now and working pretty well, touch wood.

For some reason, the computers don't see each other. When I go to My Network Places and click on View Network Connections, I get a nifty little icon of a computer linked to a box and to a lock. It says "Local Area Connection" and under that it says "Connected, Firewalled." When I highlight this area, I get an explanation down in the left hand corner that says I'm connected but I'm firewalled and it will time my connection. So as far as I know, I'm connected but I can't see her. When we do the same thing on her computer she doesn't get the little lock showing up. She sees "Local Area Connection" and "1394 Connection" and it says she's connected to both. She is using Norton firewall and she configured it to accept my IP address. I found Windows firewall confusing and did my best to enter her IP address to make her computer the specific computer that mine would hook to, but I'm not sure... the rest of the instructions are vague. I don't know what to do with them next. I don't know if my computer is causing the firewall or if it's hers.

I'm not sure which computer is supposed to be the Administrator in this case, either. Or even how to make one of the computers the Administrator and the other the slave or whatever it's supposed to be. I ran Windows Help and followed the prompts on this topic to the bitter end. Everything seemed to check out and then at the end it says sorry, can't help you... look elsewhere.

I'm sorry for just blundering in here and boldly asking these questions. I would've gone to the Search and looked for this subject but I'm not sure what I'm even really looking for. Please excuse my ignorance. If this has been answered before, please direct me to the thread that explains this.

I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Chris the Computer Clown

Advertisements

bobevet

bobevet

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hello if you are both using windows firewall turn off the one on the computer that is not directly connected to the router that might help as they might be conflicting