Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive won't load at all

• Please log in to reply

fantasymon

fantasymon

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I just built my own computer and for the second time in 2 nights my hard drive won't load AT ALL.

Basically after I finished installing all of my programs it just randomly resets. Then when the WINDOWS XP screen is suppost to load the screen just stays black. I had to reformat today to solve the problem but now it just happened again.

It is so frustrating because I spent several hours both times setting up the computer software.

The first time I was using XP with SP2. Today when I reformated I installed XP PRO 64 bit.

I think it might have to do with my Visiontek 550 Pro TV tuner card but not for sure. I installed the card in the computer and windows loaded fine. Then when I loaded the Cards setup program this is when the computer reset. I do not remember when it happened last night. Obviously I removed the card but still nothing loads up. I have no way that I know of to even getting to Safe Mode.

I know little about bios/dos memory but I think also may have to do with that. Last night when this happened I couldnt load anything including a simple DOS bootup disk because it sayed MEMORY FAILURE.
Tonight the disk will work but it is extremely slow. When I put the XP 64 cd in there it went to the setup screen but it too is VERY slow to load. What causes that to happen? Like how do you free up BIOS resources? Should I remove the battery to reset the bios?

NOTE: In DOS I can access the C: drive. However many folders I have tried to accesse say "Access Denied"!

PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME

THANK YOU!!!
Grant

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Grant

Could you please give us your system specs? Please be as precise as you can about them, i.e make/model numbers as well as specs if possible. In particular, motherboard, ram, cpu, video, hard drive, psu etc

Cheers

fantasymon

fantasymon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey thanks for the response but I fixed the problem......
Had no idea what I was doing but I loaded the XP64 cd at startup and did a "restore boot sequence" from the dos prompt and it fixed the problem.

Like I said, I had no idea what I was doing so was 100% luck

Thanks,
Grant

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Glad you've got it all working now :tazz: