Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Combined Cable and Wireless router?

• Please log in to reply

death_hand

death_hand

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi Guys and Gals.

I'm working on my run of the mill desktop PC with my internet connection coming straight from my modem to my PC.

My housemate wants in on my broadband, but he has a laptop and wants to be able to use it wirelessly :tazz: if such a word exists.

So..

..My question is - Is there a router that I can buy that has both cabled connectivity (for me) and wireless connectivity (for my housemate). There is always the option of me installing a wireless card into my PC, but I see no reason to change from cabled as I've had no problems whatsoever.

Many thanks,

d_h :)

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey death_hand,

Yes actually there are several models of routers that you can use to do this. In fact, most wireless routers come with 10/100 ethernet ports.

What you are really looking for is a broadband wireless router with a 4 port ethernet switch. For this you may want to look into something like the Linksys WRT54G.

Let us know how you make out

death_hand

death_hand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks for the fast reply.

Will have a look at the one you've suggested and let you know how I get on.

Cheers :tazz:

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
one other quick note...wireless is getting better but it is still an OPEN PROPIERTARY standard (go figure)..so for best results..if you get a linksys router make sure you get a linksys notebook adapter....

death_hand

death_hand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Point noted - cheers :tazz: