Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Hard Drive Issues

• Please log in to reply

BoomShake007

BoomShake007

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Ok, so my system used to have a single 120GB ATA hard drive and a DVD burner. Each was on it's own IDE channel, set to master.

Now, I have just purchased two 200GB ATA drives. Just to test if they worked, I set them up like this:
Channel 1: 120GB (where system is installed) master, 200GB slave
Channel 2: 200GB master, DVD burner slave

First problem I'm having is on boot up with the BIOS. I went into the BIOS, to the IDE section, and have set the master/slave for each IDE properly (i think). The name of each drive shows up next to each label correctly. For each there's some settings inside that I don't know about, so I left those on auto. When I boot up, it says something like "Auto detecting Primary Master...HDD" or something similar. This used to do it really fast and detect both the 120GB and dvd burner. With the additional drives, it takes quite a while. The primary (channel 1) are found very fast, while the secondary (channel 2) take a while to find. All drives are set via jumpers to the proper master/slave. Once in windows, they show up properly and I can use Partition Magic 8 or the built in disk manager in windows XP's "management".

The only thing I can think of is this: Because of my case configuration, putting the DVD burner and a hard drive on the same channel has some physical issues. Basically, if I connect the end of the cable to the board, I connect the middle or the other end to the hard drive (it's closest), I then can't reach the dvd drive. I've tried moving the dvd drive down a few rungs and the hard drive up a few, but it still didn't work. So, I tried flipping the cable around. One end is plugged into the mobo, a short bit of cable, middle is plugged into a hard drive, then the long bit of cable, the other end plugged into the DVD drive. Again, hard drive is jumped to master, DVD drive to slave.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Boom

Relevant System Specs:
AMD Athlon64 3700+ soc939
ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 motherboard
1 x 120GB 8mb cache ATA WD HDD
2 x 200GB 8mb cache ATA Seagate HDD
DVD burner
Floppy Drive

Edited by BoomShake007, 19 March 2006 - 02:07 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Without a wiring diagram of the cable to see if it is acceptable to put it in backwards, I would not do that. Try turning it around and leave the DVD off and see if the problem goes away. If so, then go and get a longer cable or an IDE card to have another channel.

BoomShake007

BoomShake007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
well, that seemed to work. I found a way to get it to all fit too :tazz: I guess flipping the cable around confuses the mobo, even though it eventually detected it fine.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The cabling is not just straight through since there is the option of cable select. I don't know if there are other lines which are not straight through and what happens, but it is clear that it does not work. I am glad that you tested it instead of me :-).

Good to hear you got it to work!!!