Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with sound [resolved]

• Please log in to reply

babyloniantg

babyloniantg

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm not quite sure if this question belongs in this forum, but since I use Windows XP, I thought it'd be more appropirate. Today I turned on my laptop and I found it didn't play any sound. I checked everything and it was all just like I had been using it for the past several months. I went to Volume Control and found that I only have four volume controls (volume control, wave, sw synth, and cd player) as opposed to having several others like I did before. I went to Properties to enable the other controls, but the list only showed the four controls mentioned above. I checked the Mixer device pull down menu to see if maybe the system had erronously changed it to something else, but the only option listed on the menu was Realteck AC97 Audio.

Also, my laptop has a switch to turn wireless on and off, and it indicates it is on by means of a light. I noticed that even though my wireless is on and working, the light isn't on. I'm hoping nothing fried on the front of the computer over night :tazz: .

Like I said, I'm using a laptop so there's not much I can do in terms of checking the connection between devices. Nothing like this had ever happened to me and I really have no idea what to do next. I don't know if you'll need this info but I'll provide it just in case: I use a Toshiba Satellite with Windows XP Home edition with Service Pack 2 installed.

Edited by babyloniantg, 19 March 2006 - 11:55 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Either re-install the soundcard software from the CD or look for the drivers on the soundcard manufacturer's site

babyloniantg

babyloniantg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
The sound started to work again after I turned the computer on again (which is weird, b/c I had previously restarted and turned off when i was trying to figure out what was wrong). I don't know what happened, but everything's ok now. Thanks for the help though.

Edited by babyloniantg, 19 March 2006 - 09:05 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know