Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP operating system media failure

• Please log in to reply

isBear

isBear

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I tried to replace a heatsink fan for my 400vtx Gateway laptop but opened the bottom of the laptop first before finding the location was under the keyboard. The fan is now successfully installed.

However, now when powered on, there is a black screen only and an error message saying to check cable and operating system not detected. I checked under the keyboard and couldn't find the cable. The underside does not come apart for me to see if there is a cable loose there. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
isBear

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I own the same laptop so I'm especially interested in this. I've been out on the Internet looking for anything on the 400vtx and I will say that there is very little, so far. I'm seeing a lot of repair stuff on the Solo laptops but almost nothing on the 400vtx. I'll keep looking.

How old is the laptop? Have you had any sound problems? My sound went out under the extended warranty and they replaced the mainboard. Total turnaround was something like 4 or 5 days. I was stunned at how fast they got it back to me.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi isBear...

Do you see the following error? PXE-E61

wannabe1

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Hopefully, he just has to change the boot order to clear up that pxe thing. If it is pxe....

My battery is going.... but at $150 for a replacement, I think I'll pass. I could find almost nothing on troubleshooting/repairing this particular model. Fortunately, I've had little trouble with mine......

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The PXE-E61 can be indicative of several problems...one of which is the boot order as macten has pointed out. It can also indicate a corrupt MBR, a bad cd-rom drive, or a failed HDD. The error occurs when the machine can't find boot information in any of the places it's been told it should be...so it looks for the information on a network and generates the error when the boot info isn't there, either.

Let us know if you are receiving this error message...

wannabe1