Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP repair

• Please log in to reply

gronka

gronka

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
researching. so is hte CD clean? any scratches. Dents.. anything? And the first copy of windows that is on you're system.. was it installed by the manufacturer? Or did you build your own?

and have you formatted before?

Edited by gronka, 19 March 2006 - 08:33 PM.

Advertisements

bluiz1997

bluiz1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
CD appears quite clean, no scratch. I opened it only today

Windows came installed on the computer which is a HP Pavilion Notebook less than a year old came with Windows XP SP 2 already installed

I dont believe that I have formatted before??

gronka

gronka

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
expand the file with c:i386 for the initial path to extract from. its worth a shot. some oems have it on there.

and have you done a chkdsk /r from recovery console? I seem to have missed the fact that the recovery console was an option.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This sounds more like ram than anything...just by the way it's acting.

Do you have a floppy drive on the machine? If yes, download MEMTEST, extract it, and run it. This will test the reliability of your RAM memory. Be sure to follow the instructions.

wannabe1

bluiz1997

bluiz1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok going to try the above suggestions. I really appreciate all of your help

gronka

gronka

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
oh by the way the chkdsk /r takes a while

bluiz1997

bluiz1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
OK so I persisted with running repairs on both of the installations. I thought for the heck of it I would try again. It worked this time and I am able to pull all of my files off and then I can reload. Thanks again

gronka

gronka

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
awesome news. Good work

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great! Now...how many Windows folders are in the C: drive? When you reboot, are you asked to choose which operating system you want to start?

bluiz1997

bluiz1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It looks like most of my folders are there in the C drive. My music was saved that is the only important thing that I was concerned about losing. It didnt ask which system that I wanted to start. I think that I actually was able to get through on the original not the paralelled. It finally allowed me to repair through the disk (not the repair console; the first option) I ran it through like 3 times though???? Not really sure what happened then it finally restarted after I allowed it to pass by the Disk. I dont think that it was completely repairing and loading for some reason. It then started up just as it is supposed to when a parallel is created? It was the first version (top option) The one the tutorial tells you will be the original not the parallel. Really strange but I was ready to call it quits when it finally worked. Thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Cool! :tazz: Glad you got that sorted out.

If you have any more problems, come on back...

wannabe1