Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 will not start

• Please log in to reply

genzi

genzi

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
:tazz:
Daughter's "genius" boyfriend tried to install a printer on her system. He asked if I had a current 98 disk since he lost the driver cd that came with the printer. I believe he dowloaded off of HP's site. He's gone now so it's hard to determine. (HP3600) and now she get this message

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program. If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file. c:\windows\system\VMM32\ifsmgr.VXD. Then it says it can't find a device needed to run windows or application. And then, the windows registry or system.ini file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists. Then it says press a key to continue and keeps bringing up c:\windows\system\VMM32\ios.VXD and then c:\windows\system\VMM32\ifsmgr.VXD. Finally, it says it's safe to turn off the computer.

What did he do, was it intentional or something other?

Edited by genzi, 19 March 2006 - 03:56 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try booting the PC, keep tapping F8 until you get options, select safe mode

genzi

genzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I can get to that screen with 5 options, selected safe mode, windows logo screen comes up then it goes to the message i inquired about. Same as normal boot.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC to the options, choose command prompt only, type scanreg /restore then press enter, you should get 5 options by date, choose one which says started

genzi

genzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
used command line, went to a screen with restore point options, selected one, came back as a good restore point, hit restore and my antivirus came up and indicated all was ok.
It then asked to restart and I did but it comes back to the options menu normal safe mode etc.
I think I have it in the right order.
But no start.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
So you got safe mode but choosing that just gave you the previous list

genzi

genzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
yes it's windows 98
what seems to be wrong

Edited by genzi, 19 March 2006 - 05:22 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Sorry, I saw how thick my question was when I saw the title :tazz:

This will rebuild the registry

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, give it a minute to arrive at the prompt with a flashing cursor then type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

genzi

genzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Are you ready,
It came up with Amibios Setup screen, I entered standard, it came to Primary Hard disk with two options, Auto / 32 Bit / ATPI / 8912 then it goes to auto detect but what I select just returns to the first of the three options. Shoul I do something else at this point.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is after the reboot from running scanreg.exe /fix?

Advertisements

genzi

genzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
yes it went through the scanreg/fix and said it was successful the I hit enter ctrl alt delete and it booted to this screen.

genzi

genzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I remember seeing this screen before but I'm not sure what or how to select and if I shut it down it may never get to this point again

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC, keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, look for BIOS defaults / fail safe defaults and load those, press F10 to save then type Y to confirm then press enter

Beyond this, you can install 98 over the top of itself, this is not ideal but it will let you access files so you can back them up and then consider a clean install

genzi

genzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
rebooted looks like I back to square one same old message I'm going to try the scanreg.exe/fix again

genzi

genzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
set original defaults, ran the disk it actually did nothing getting the same message again.
Is something corrupted.
What do you mean by a clean install.