Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

random failure to boot

• Please log in to reply

hawaiianlei

hawaiianlei

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
My computer's operating system fails to start sometimes. (Win XP PRo). It doenst happen every day, just on random times when i try to start my computer. it passes the boot screen and then just displays a black screen. i have to turn the power off and turn it back on. the message displayed is something like : "We're sorry for the inconvenience. Windows has failed to start properly. ....choose your startup option." then it gives a list of safe mode, safe mode with networking...etc. and start computer normally. is there a fix for this, or is it just a glitch?
it may be hard to troubleshoot because it doesnt happen everytime...
thanks

Advertisements

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Hey!

Okay, can you be a little bit more detailed? When does it not load up? Does it load up sometimes, what happens when you try safe mode?

Paul

hawaiianlei

hawaiianlei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
there is no exact scheduled moment it doesnt load up. its very random. after the boot screen (the screen with the Win XP loading bar), the screen goes black and stays there. no mouse...nothing. but its not like it doesnt start up after every 5 or 10 or a certain number of successful startups. its just very random. sometimes it doesnt start for 2 or 3 consecutive times. sometimes it goes for days or weeks without having the error re-appear.