Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is there a widescreen setting?

• Please log in to reply

filmguy40886

filmguy40886

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 4300, which is a few years old. When I received the computer it was running Windows ME. I have since updated to WindowsXP Professional w/SP2. The system has an NVidia GeForce MX2/400 video card. The resource CD I received with the purchase of the computer contains drivers for that card but lists it as 98/Me compatible. The monitor is a Dell 17" standard screen.

Several months ago I was having issues with Windows Media Player, Napster, and track licensing. This issue lead me to re-installing Windows (I don't remember why that was my decision but at the time I thought it would help). During repair installations the computer continuously reported missing components that couldn't be installed. The number of components missing was outrageous. I restarted the install again and again to get it right. During the third re-install when the computer reported the components missing again I chose the "Cancel" option to stop the install. Upon restarting the system I began having a new issue. The screen GUI stretched beyond the screen, I later found that this problem is all the time now including at startup before the OS loads. I have tried loading, reloading, and searching for drivers. I wrote in here a week or so ago and took the advice that was given at the time to uninstall the video drivers and reboot allong Windows to select the driver. I did that and no luck. I have messed around with the monitor's manual configuration to adjust the screen and have not solved the problem but discovered that it appears the output is being displayed in what appears to be widescreen format. Is this possible? I cannot find the settings anywhere to adjust this. Today, I reformatted the drive (something I'd been meaning to do anyway seeing as how I needed to repartition to make room for Fedora) and did a complete re-install of Windows. Still nothing. A coworker told me to check the card to see if it was loose, it did not appear to be. What are my options? What could the issue possibly be? I am at wits end, everyone I talk to has never heard of the problem I am having but suggest help for the closest related issue. What to do?!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you may need to run sfc /scannow from start run. it requiers the xp cd. also I recomend that you run a full checkdisk on your hard drive.

filmguy40886

filmguy40886

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I ran the sfc /scannow that was suggested. I did it through the 'run' option in the start menu. I don't know if it used the XP disk or not but it was in the drive. The screen indicated that it was searching for Windows components and original configuration. I also ran the check disk. In the same run command box in the start menu I type chkdsk /f. It wouldn't run it but it scheduled it to run at the next startup. I restarted the computer so that it could run the check disk. As far as I could tell neither the sfc /scannow nor the chkdsk /f returned any errors or made any corrective actions.

Is there anything else I can try? Is this a unique problem?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you checked your monitor i havent used a dell in a while but it may have a stretch setting, some do have that function especially CRTs, might also see if theres an auto adjust it may just be a monitor setting wrong if youre lucky.

filmguy40886

filmguy40886

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes, I have messed with the monitor settings. I have moved the horizontal and vertical center, used the stretch option (x and y axis), as well as the zoom option. None of these made a positive difference.

A co-worker suggested getting a new video card, but I would rather not spend the money to find out that it doesn't solve the problem. Is this something I should put more consideration into?

filmguy40886

filmguy40886

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I bought a new monitor...problem solved.

Thanks for the help everyone!