Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop has dissapeared

• Please log in to reply

munchkin33329

munchkin33329

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi...I'm new here and very inexperienced at the pc. I'm running Windows XP and when I turned my pc on this morning, I have no desktop icons, no start button to click on at the bottom of the screen. I managed to get the Task Manager up but when I try to do anything in it, I get a message saying "Program is not responding"......Help!!!...what do I do to get my desktop back?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In task manager, click file then new task, type explorer.exe then press enter

munchkin33329

munchkin33329

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok...I did like you reply said and this is what happend. When I did it the first time, the pc froze. Had to reboot. The second time I did it, I got these messages..message#1:
Fix-It cannot find the IntelliCluster Driver..??????

message #2:
Some components of Active Shield are either missing or might not have been installed properly. Please reinstall Active Shield. If you have started your computer in Safe Mode, please restart your computer in Normal Mode to enable McAfee Virus Scan.

What now?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you boot the PC to safe mode?

munchkin33329

munchkin33329

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
(Resolved) Hi Keith....everything is ok. I did a search in the Microsoft Knowledge Base, and I was able to find a way to fix the problem. Thanks for your help........munchkin33329

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know