Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Overheating CPU

• Please log in to reply

Yumil

Yumil

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
My CPU is getting way too hot...when I turn on a game that reqires high CPU use (PlanetSide, Neverwinter Nights) it instantly goes up to around 85*C and eventualy my comp will restart...

Yes I've got the silver heat transfering gel on, plenty of it...I've got 2 intake fans in the front and 3 that "out-take" I've got decent graphics card...Radeon X800...

My CPU is a 3.0 Ghz 800 Mhz FSB....

Ok to my question...I was reading intel's site and came accross this "article"...
http://support.intel...b/cs-007984.htm

Says 800 FSB's need an updated BIOS and it gives some links...I have no idea how to tell which link I'd need...

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Which motherboard do you have? I need the exact make & model number. If you don't know, download & run Everest from this link & it should give you the information you need :

http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

Yumil

Yumil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks anyway but I used MSI Live Update and updated it...but that did nothing...

So I took it off and put on more thermal gel...then it wouldnt even open windows...comp would just shut down...

So I took off a lot of the gel so I had less then what I started with and now it runs perfectly...

Games that were 10FPS are now 200+ and things are running 10x as fast...

So I guess what I learned from this is not to use too much thermal gel...

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Er, yes. Too much thermal compound can be just as damaging as not having enough.

Glad you've managed to fix it.