Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Huge CI file in Catalog.wci folder that won't defrag

• Please log in to reply

rcknrll

rcknrll

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a series of large files (one over 6G) in the catalog.wci folder (in the System Volume Information folder). (I use Windows XP. The biggest one is in over 50,000 fragments. Each of these large files (00010006.ci, for example) has another smaller filer (00010006.dir, for example) created at the same time, with the same file name but a *.dir extension instead of the *.ci extension.
I have tried to "flush" these out by disabling and then reenabling system restore . . . it got rid of all the stuff in another folder in the SVI folder, but didn't do anything to these.
Does anybody know what these are? Can I delete them?
Thanks.

Advertisements

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Hey!

These files are ecspecially known for the large amounts of usage (as you mentioned). I reccomend doing the following steps:
  • Restart the computer
  • Boot to the Windows CD/Recovery CD
  • Do a system repair
  • Attempt to defrag
If that doesn't work, post back here and we will try a series of other steps. A system repair is required because these files use a binary information system, which will refresh these.

Paul

Edited by paulcomputerman, 19 March 2006 - 07:30 PM.

rcknrll

rcknrll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks. I'm backing up system (will take awhile, about 70G, including all the stuff I want to get rid of), and will follow your directions when it is done.