Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Defender Problems

• Please log in to reply

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hi all,

I wasn't too bothered about not using Windows Defender, but I was slightly angry when I had an error message being one of the first to *attempt* to use this software. The first time I installed this software, I encountered an error, which I was guessing due to a transfer error from the .exe. I then uninstalled Windows Defender, and downloaded Windows Defender again saving it as a different name (after deleting the old Windows Defender.exe). It did the same, I get the error message:

Windows Defender

Windows Defender was unable to complete the update: 0x80070242. The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

I would like to use this software, and if anybody could help me get it working it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Advertisements

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Hey!

Have you restarted the computer?

Paul

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Of course.

Still nothing. - A reminder it has been 55 days and it still fails to work. It fails to update also. I do also have a genuine version of windows, and cannot understand the reason for this...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Microsoft Updates covers defender

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I have updated, in fact 3 times last week, for hardware addition. I did the express install, and checked everything (minus my Graphics card as I use custom drivers).

EDIT:

I have just tried to do a windows update, but I have had an error: 

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem. 
For self-help options: 

Frequently Asked Questions

Find Solutions

Windows Update Newsgroup 
For assisted support options: 

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

[Error number: 0x80070424]

Edited by SuperSam, 20 March 2006 - 11:52 AM.

grandpa

grandpa

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi

I had a similar prod.

From memory. I changed firewall settings (Zone Alarm) Used IE. validated, then downloaded.

Good luck

Grandpa

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I have already allowed windows update in my firewall exceptions (windows firewall), and I am using IE. No luck.

I have read somewhere about this problem but cannot remember it.

Edited by SuperSam, 20 March 2006 - 04:04 PM.

samem

samem

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
same happened to me try to install this it may work worked for me

http://rapidshare.de/files/13504666/WindowsDefender.msi.html