Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Start Button And Desktop Vanished In XP

• Please log in to reply

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Oh...also, last night I ran registry cleaner just for the heck of it and it wanted to clear out almost every key listed with most of them saying they were no longer in use or the application did not exist. I just shut it down after that. I did not delete anything.

peace out,
daddy

Edited by daddy, 20 March 2006 - 11:34 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

how and why do you think this happened from just deleting things out of Adaware SE?

Malware sometimes changes settings (values more often than not). When the application that uses those changed values is romoved and the values are not restored, a problem shows up. Unfortunately, without knowing exactly what was changed, we just have to hunt for the cause.

Have your friend look at the following registry key and report bak with the value from the Data column in the right pane.

From Task Manager > New Task, type regedit, and press "Enter".

Expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Classes, then CLSID, then {f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}, and click on InprocServer32. In the right pane, under the Data column, what is the value for Default? If you can't see the whole value, double click on "Default" and it will be in the Value Data box. Don't change anything in the resulting window.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Ok...I will be back with ya tomorrow with the result. Thank you again!

peace out,
daddy

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
My girlfriend just sent me a more detailed report. I will still have her do what you asked tomorrow, but I thought I would post her report just in case it helps matters:

Went to Task Mgr and typed sfc /scannow

Task window says "Windows file protection running"

Typed cmd

the prompt read:
C:\documents and settings\user> regsvr32 jscript.dll

response window says "DllRegisterServer in jscript succeeded

typed at prompt:
regsvr32 vbscript.dll

response window says "DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded

typed at prompt:
regsver32/i mshtml.dll

response window says "DllRegisterServer and Dllinstall in mshtml succeeded.

I minimized that screen.

Now in Task Mgr it reads "Window file protection running"
and also C:/WINDOWS/system32/cmd.exe running"

went to Task Mgr and in new task I typed
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Window says:
"System restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, then run system restore again".

I closed that message and minimized Task Mgr.

Behind the Task Mgr was a file protection message window that read: "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the Dll cache. Insert your Windows XP Professional CD-ROM now.

I shut down and restarted and tried to run System Restore again but the system restore is still blank.

Thanks guys

peace out,
daddy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should have run them seperately, sfc runs through if it doesn't need anything, but obviously halts to get the CD if it needs to replace anything, if you have not got the CD then you can borrow one, it needs to be the same version as was originally installed, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 CD

At least there are missing files, and it could be those responsible for the issues

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Classes, then CLSID, then {f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}, and click on InprocServer32. In the right pane, under the Data column, what is the value for Default? If you can't see the whole value, double click on "Default" and it will be in the Value Data box. Don't change anything in the resulting window.

The default value is:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\jscript.dll

Let me know what ya think bro. Thanks

peace out,
daddy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Think we're narrowing in on it.... :tazz:

Have her open Control Panel and double-click on the "User Accounts" icon. Does this generate an error message?

Click Start, then Run, type services.msc, and click "Ok". Does this generate an error?

wannabe1

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
How is she going to open her control panel?

Thanks,

peace out,
daddy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Task Manager > File > New Task > type control > press "Enter". Sorry... :tazz:

Same with services.msc

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Ok...when she typed in control in the task manager nothing happened at all.

When she typed in services.msc this is the report:

Microsoft Management Console
MMC failed to initialize because it was installed incorrectly or because a portion of the registry has become corrupted. Make sure the file mmcndmgr.dll is registered by running regsvr32%SystemRoot%\system32\mmcndmgr.dll

She then tried to do that and got an error message:

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.

Ok....here we go........lol

peace out,
daddy

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Oh...now THAT"S nice.... :tazz:

Can she download and open attachments? I'd like to have her run a script on her machine.

Also, does she have her installation cd?

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
No...she can not download...she cannot do anything EXCEPT open standalone applications (via the task manager). If you give me the script, I can put it on a CD/DVD and we can try running it that way by once again using the task manager to access it.

I also can run Hijack this (since it is standalone), but I would have to print it out, scan it, and then post it here.

She does not have the install CD. It was given to her by her work and they can't find anything. HOWEVER, I also own the same brand (HP PAVALLION) with only the model being slightly different. I do have all the recovery CD's that came with mine. HP does NOT give you a Windows XP disc. So maybe my discs might work or help???? But then again her installation is Professional and mine is Home edition.

This doesn't look good does it???

peace out,
daddy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This is XP Pro? First post said it was XP Home.... :tazz:

From Task Manager / New Task, type C:Documents and Settings\user name\My Documents, and press "Enter". (Where user name is your friend's account name.)

In "My Documents", click "Tools" on the toolbar and choose "Folder Options". Click on the "Offline Files" tab. Select the "Enable Offline Files" check box, and then click "OK".

Try to register the file again regsvr32%SystemRoot%\system32\mmcndmgr.dll

Also run this one regsvr32%SystemRoot%\system32\ole32.dll

Edited by wannabe1, 22 March 2006 - 10:33 PM.

segerkm

segerkm

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
FWIW... I'm having this exact same problem (but in Windows 2000) and I can run AOL (but not IE) by going to Task Manager, New Task, Browse... then navigating to C:\Program Files\America Online and selecting aol.exe. This is at least giving me a usable browser (who woulda thought?!).

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
QUOTE(wannabe1 @ Mar 22 2006, 08:26 PM) View Post

This is XP Pro? First post said it was XP Home.... wink.gif

Yes...you are correct...then came post #6...gottch-ya back!!!

QUOTE(wannabe1 @ Mar 22 2006, 08:26 PM) View Post

From Task Manager / New Task, type C:Documents and Settings\user name\My Documents, and press "Enter". (Where user name is your friend's account name.)

Did you mean C:\

peace out,
daddy