Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Start Button And Desktop Vanished In XP

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup... huh.gif

Advertisements

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Ok...the message she got was:

Windows can not find C:\Documents

I even had her try "owner" in place of username and it still yielded the same results.

Thanks again

peace out,
daddy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is she using her user account name? In example, mine might be: C:\Documents and Settings\wannabe1\My Documents.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Yes she did. She tried both her admin name and owner.

Soooooo....I thought I would try it on my computer and guess what? I got the same message which is as follows:

Windows cannot find 'C:\Documents'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

peace out,
daddy

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Been a couple...just wondering if ya came up with anything. Thanks for your time.

peace out,
daddy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry...I know I replied, but it shore ain't here...... :whistling:

Go ahead and attach her HJT log for me.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Sorry wannabe it took so long to get this to ya. I had to scan the hijack output just to get it to ya since her computer does nothing. Both pages are attached. Let me know what we can do next...she is getting ready to buy a new computer and I am telling her NO WAY...just hold out a bit!!! LOL

peace out,
daddy

Well, I tried to attach it but no go...wonder why. Oh well, get it HERE

Edited by daddy, 29 March 2006 - 06:56 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just one more bit of info...make and model of your friends PC. I'm thinking we may be able to do a non-destructive recovery from files already on the machine.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
hp Pavilion 7855
1GHz Pentium III
128mb SDRAM

Thanks,

peace out,
daddy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
daddy...

See if she can do This Procedure (Recovering during startup). If this recovery process starts, do the recovery only...not the destructive recovery.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 29 March 2006 - 10:41 PM.

Advertisements

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
She can't use her start button...please provide the alternative route if you could...thanks

peace out,
daddy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry...didn't get my edit done in time... :whistling:

Go down the page a bit to "Recover During Startup". Be sure to do the non-destructive recovery.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Gotchya...I saw that after I replied!!! LOL

Back with ya when it's done :-)

peace out,
daddy

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
This sounds really stupid but after all this I guess its worth a shot.

On your keyboard did you try pressing the windows key on lower left between Ctrl and Alt ?This usually pops up the start window.

Isn't cure for getting Start Button back but you might be able to navigate through computer better if it does come up.

Here is a link for some tweak registry keys you might be able to use as replacement for yours.

http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

Look in above link at the following for download I found these 3 but there might be more

# 20. Restore IE Desktop Shortcut Icon Functions http://www.kellys-ko...topshortcut.reg

# 289 Start Menu - Enable http://www.kellys-ko...tmenuenable.reg

# 117 Restore Taskbar and Start Menu http://www.kellys-ko...s/nodesktop.reg

Save the REG File to your hard disk. Burn it to CD .

Take it to bad machine .Open CD .Double click file and answer yes to the import prompt

Now idea if these will work if you have other issues in some of the other reg keys or corrupted files on the machine that are needed to make these keys work right in the first place.They may not work then.

You should never trust anyone besides STAFF in forums giving information to follow when changing your registry.I can say I have used a few from this site on my own machine and recommended Kelly's Corners to others.I won't take offense if the STAFF make this point to you or you decide to wait untill they look the instruction over and give you the go ahead.

Best of Luck.

Regards,
TakeBK

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi TakeBK...

Under most circumstances, your advice is good and I have used many of Kelly's registry tweaks with good success. However, we're looking at more than a few misplaced string values on this machine. Normally I would be looking at replacing the registry hive, but without knowing if there is a viable restore point to link things back up, the in-place upgrade or non-destructive recovery are the best options available.

As a side note...registry cleaners should be used sparingly. Some tend to be a bit more agressive than one would expect.

wannabe1