Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Start Button And Desktop Vanished In XP

• Please log in to reply

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
wannabe...the recovery screen will not even come up. She tried several times.

TakeBk...thanks for the advice, but I am riding this out with the mods for now. I really do appreciate your input though and who knows...maybe in the end that might do the trick.

peace out,
daddy

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok daddy...we'll have to do this the hard way. :whistling:

We need to find out if we can get to Recovery Console with your cd. Boot to the cd and see if you are given the option to repair using Recovery Console (usually by pressing R). If you have the option, we'll replace the registry hive from command prompt. This will set the registry back to day one so it would sure be nice to know there was a restore point waiting for us....

Let me know if you can access recovery console using your cd.

wannabe1

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
One more thing before the next step. My computer is a HP Pavillion 700...I have ALL my recovery disks. HP Pavillions do not provide an XP disc on it's own...only recovery disks.

I have EIGHT recovery disks labeled in order...but they are for the HOME edition.

Shall I still proceed using MY disks on HER computer?

Thanks

peace out,
daddy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We don't want to run the recovery with your cd's, but we do need to see if you can access recovery console. These are two completely different things. We just need to get to a command prompt outside of Windows. Have you tried to boot her machine to Safe Mode Command Prompt Only"?

Or we can try a batch file...providing notepad will open on her machine.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Ok...this is going on memory. YES we can open up the command prompt in the safe mode BUT it comes up like this:

C:\Documents and Settings>

Every time we try and run something, it NEVER works. It even comes up that way on my computer and I cannot run command prompts. I was having huge problems when I installed a server on my computer (apache, php, mySQL..etc...) and needed to run commands. Finally I dowloaded a command line client for mySQL and was able to run things...LOL

BUT my standalone CMD prompt has never done anything I have typed in!!!

Yes...Notepad is a standalone program so we should be able to open it...as a matter of fact I remember getting it to open when I was noodling around.

peace out,
daddy

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
No offense taken daddy.

I think wannabe meant was start it in MSDOS. Not open Dos in windows with the CMD.YOu tap F8 start and choose start, in not the normal Safe Mode but in Safe Mode / MsDos and running it from there once would do the trick.

@wannabe

If he couldn't get sfc /scannow to run and it was interupted in ant way by not doing the other step

regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll

Think he could run it in Safe Mode with DOS promt and it might go?

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Ok...this is going on memory. YES we can open up the command prompt in the safe mode BUT it comes up like this:

C:\Documents and Settings>

Every time we try and run something, it NEVER works. It even comes up that way on my computer and I cannot run command prompts.

peace out,
daddy

Prompts changed in XP they are not like old 98/Me

To change the directory

http://www.microsoft...n-us/chdir.mspx

list of new dos promts

http://www.microsoft...s.mspx?mfr=true

Some of the changes that are no longer used

http://www.microsoft...s.mspx?mfr=true

Edited by TakeBK, 30 March 2006 - 12:30 AM.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thanks TakeBk, but that is what I have done. F8>>>Safe Mode With Command Prompt...and it come up like I stated above and I can't run anything.

peace out,
daddy

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Typing ovewr each other

Its not working probably because you are trying to run it from C::\Documents and Settings> it is not in the folder.

Change the directory to C: with the link I just gave you on new prompts for dos

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download and create the Boot Disk Set that is appropriate for your friends machine. The links are a ways down the page. This will require 6 floppies...please tell me you both have floppy drives... :whistling:

Recovery Console will be a part of these disks...we really need to get to Recovery Console at this point.

Advertisements

cph89

cph89

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok now i know this is really simple and stupid to suggest but have you tried manually running explorer.exe?

Task Manager->New Task->explorer

also if its at all possible unless you know what they are can you upload the following files to http://virusscan.jotti.org

C:\Windows\System32\brgg5rar.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\pupt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp\zxinst12.exe

Thanks, sorry if its stupid and time wasting guys but thats my .02

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

.please tell me you both have floppy drives... :)

:blink: :help: :) Had that happen before....One kid had an A: drive and he didn't know it.But when asked to copy file to Floppy Disk he replied What is that?

CD's are what everyone is used to now and floppies are forgotten .

Shows age :whistling:

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Download and create the Boot Disk Set that is appropriate for your friends machine. The links are a ways down the page. This will require 6 floppies...please tell me you both have floppy drives... :whistling:

Recovery Console will be a part of these disks...we really need to get to Recovery Console at this point.

Well..you are not going to believe this (but then again I bet you have heard it all!) My floppy drive works fine...but hers has been broken since her work gave her the machine. It had something jammed in it and the button won't pop out now.

Anyhow...she works in the same building as a hosting service, so she asked if anyone had a "spare" Windows XP Professional disc lying around, and they DID...so they let her borrow it for the weekend. So my next question is, can she use that disc to perform a recovery and if yes, please tell me the procedure.

Thanks again guys :-)

peace out,
daddy

Edited by daddy, 31 March 2006 - 10:45 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Finally!!! Some sanity enters the picture.... :whistling:

Have her try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

If she is asked for the product key, she needs to use the one for her machine. If you are unsure of that key, run Magic Jelly Bean to retrieve it before you start.

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

Edited by wannabe1, 31 March 2006 - 10:56 PM.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
ok...she did everything and it went just fine EXCEPT now it goes right back to the screen "Start Windows Normally" but it doesnt. Just goes right back to the above screen. Windows does not start. She just keeps getting the same screen over and over and over. Yes, the Cd had been removed from the tray.

Next move?

peace out,
daddy