Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Start Button And Desktop Vanished In XP

• Please log in to reply

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Any thought wannabe? I went over and checked it out myself this weekend and did everything the tutorial said to repair. It all goes smoothly and goes through about a 30 minute process...then it reboots on its own to a screen that says: We apologize, but your windows Xp is not starting correctly.

It then gives you choices (like start normally, boot in safe mode, blah, blah...) and no matter what you choose it cycles right back to the same screen.

peace out,
daddy

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let me review this for a bit and see if we've missed anything along the way... :whistling:

Edited by wannabe1, 03 April 2006 - 09:33 PM.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Just checking in wannabe. Any progress?

peace out,
daddy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
A little...this is pretty perplexing... :whistling:

Download the attached zip file and extract it to your desktop. Copy the extracted file to a cd and place the file on your friends desktop. Double-click the file to execute the script and accept any prompts to let it run.

Does this bring back the Task Bar and Start button?

Attached Files

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
There is no desktop at all any more on my friends computer wannabe. since we did the CD thing, the computer cannot boot at all...it just keeps coming around to that screen I mentioned above. It never evens gets windows started now.

peace out,
daddy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sadly...this is starting to sound like a bad HDD... :whistling:

Let's use Recovery Console to repair the boot sector and mbr. Boot with the installation cd just like you did for the repair istallation...EXCEPT...press "R" at the first screen for Recovery Console.

The Recovery Console has its own command interpreter. To enter this command interpreter, you are prompted by Recovery Console to type the local Administrator password...just press "Enter" unless you have set up an Admin password.

When the Recovery Console starts, you can press F6 to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver, in case you need such a driver to access the hard disk. This prompt works the same as it does during installation of the operating system.

The Recovery Console takes several seconds to start. When the Recovery Console menu appears, a numbered list of the Windows installations on the computer appears. (Generally, only c:\Windows exists.) Press a number before you press "Enter", even when only one entry appears. If you press "Enter" without selecting a number, the computer restarts and begins the process again.

When you see the prompt for C:\Windows, type fixboot and press "Enter". Then type fixmbr and press "Enter".

Remove the cd from the drive, type exit to quit recovery console and restart.

Does this allow it to boot to Windows?

If this doesn't work, we'll replace the registry hive. That will hopefully allow us to get windows back, but it won't be pretty. Do you think she has any viable restore points on the machine?

Edited by wannabe1, 04 April 2006 - 11:55 PM.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Your just gonna love this. I tried that and apparentley someone has set a password that cannot be remembered. I tried just ENTER and every password the company (where my girlfriend works since that is who gave her the computer) could think they might have used at the time. It might have been reset by a terminated employee...who knows...

Anyhow the screen comes up and I choose Number 1 (the windows installation I have...the ONLY one)...then it prompts for the admin password. That is where it is "Three strikes and your out!" and it reboots back to the same page as I described in my previous post.

Man...I have never seen nothing like this before. You really think it is a bad hard drive?

peace out,
daddy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm just not sure...I'd like to be able to look at the HDD, but it ain't letting us.

When prompted for the password, try admin or administrator

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You might also have a look at this Microsoft Article.

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
http://www.geekstogo...forgot password

Advertisements

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Ok here is what she did tonight...

This is what happened. She typed R for Recovery Console then 1 for C:\WINDOWS.

It asked for the administrator password. She typed admin first.
not valid

She typed administrator next
not valid

After that she just hit enter when it asked for the Admin password, it then went to

C:\WINDOWS> waiting for a prompt

So is there something she can do from that to complete the recovery process, or do I need to go a different route.

peace out,
daddy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Perfect!!! :whistling:

At C:\windows>, type chkdsk /r, and press "Enter". If this runs, it will want to run on the next boot, so type Y when prompted and press "Enter".

Let me know how this goes.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
This is what she wrote me tonight from her laptop. Doesn't make sence to me:

Hmm...it was going along nicely but when it got to "75% completed"...it went to "50% completed" and it's going up again.

Ok....it is done doing whatever it did and now it's back at the
C:\WINDOWS>
It never asked me anything.

That's all the info I have wannabe. What next bro?

peace out,
daddy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Will it boot to Windows without the cd? The check definitely found a problem...that's why it backed up a bit.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Here is what she wrote:

Goes to "Start Windows Normally" but just keeps going back to it. Never starts Windows.

Basically it does the same thing it did before wannabe.

peace out,
daddy