Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Start Button And Desktop Vanished In XP

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...guess it's that time... :whistling:

This is sure to upset your friend when the machine starts...it's not going to look anything like what she saw last. Once this has been done and the machine is back in Windows, you'll need to do a System Restore first off...be sure to go back far enough to get past the problem. If you end up with no viable restore points, all the programs will have to be reinstalled in order for them to work. You must be precise in typing these commands...we're replacing the registry hive.

Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Press a key to boot from the CD

When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. (If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console).

When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines exactly as they are below, pressing ENTER after you type each line:

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.

Do the System Restore to a time before this problem began to bring back the settings and program functionality.

Let me know how you fare with this...

wannabe1

Advertisements

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
She just replied wannabe...here is what happened

She typed:

md tmp <enter>

took her to prompt

She typed:
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system <enter>
replied with: 1 file (s) copied.

took her to prompt

She typed:
c:\windows\tmp\system.bak <enter>
replied with: The command is not recognized.

She stopped there

peace out,
daddy

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Ok...I just saw what she did wrong...scratch my last post. I'll post the results later.

Our bad!!!

peace out,
daddy

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
She did all of it and then typed "exit". It restarted the computer and took her right back to the safe mode screen "Start Windows Normally" and it just keeps going back to safe mode. Basically same thing as before.

peace out,
daddy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmm...I've never had that one fail to create some very dramatic results. :whistling:

Are you going to be near the machine this weekend? Maybe we can try it again with a batch file.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Yes...I can be near that machine...after all, if I am not near it at least once or twice a week I would be in the doghouse if ya catch my drift!

peace out,
daddy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yep...that's why we're working so hard to get you fixed up...and...off the couch! :whistling:

Give me a bit to put together a batch file and I'll attach it to my next reply.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thank you...someone who understands :-)

peace out,
daddy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
First...here's the link to the complete procedure I was going to walk you through...print it out and take it with you. Replace Registry Hive

Download the attached batch file. If you can, put this on a floppy...if no floppy, try it on cd.

To run a batch file, get to command prompt in Recovery Console, type batch drive\regcopy1.txt (where "drive" is the drive letter where the batch file is located...ie: batch D:\regcopy1.txt), and press "Enter". This should run the file without having to type in each command. Less chance of error that way.

Then follow through with the rest of the procedure as outlined in the page you printed out.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

wannabe1

Attached Files

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hey wannabe

We tried with the same result. Keeps returning to the "start windows normally" screen.

Anyhow, we decided to throw in the towel and we did a fresh install. It worked perfectly and she is back online.

I just want to thank you so much for your time and effort. You went above and beyond on trying to help us resolve the problem and I will never forget what you have done. If you have a paypal button anywhere let me know bro. You deserve it.

Until next time....

peace out,
daddy

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Had the Hive Replacement failed (as it did), the fresh install would have been my next suggestion. You done good!! :whistling:

No Pay Pal button...I'm a G2G Freebie... :blink: Always glad to lend a hand!

Take care.

wannabe1