Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Idiot Asks? about Xing Mpeg

• Please log in to reply

GeekLuvR

GeekLuvR

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:) I have no idea what I am doing. Here is what I know. I have Xing Mpeg. which is a ripper. They say encoder but it's basically the same right?
I can't rip anything. They ask me to select the video file name, and audio file name. I tried using E:/ as the name for the video source. It says error it either doesn't exist or it is being used by another application. I tried removing the disk. clicking on the drive. restarting the computer....Nothing.
I click on the xing Mpeg player. Click eject disk. My D drive opened. I want to use the E drive. D drive not working.
I tried using my C:/program files/windows media player/wm player.exe blah blah blah for the audio source.
Am I doing this right?
In the video source section when I click browse it will let me choose my plug and play dvd rewriter.(or Drive E) then I click open and it says the movie name. I click Open it says VIDEO_TS. Somewhere along the line it changes from open to save. After VIDEO_TS in the other box it asks me to select a file type. I opened the VIDEO_TS folder and tried every file I saw.
VIDEO_TS VOB
VIDEO_TS IFO
VIDEO_TS BUP
VIDEO_04_1
VIDEO_04_2
And so on.
It says these files are not valid for the type of source, or something.

I just don't know how to choose the video and audio source file names.
These movies will not play on the Xing mpeg player. but they play fine on the windows media player 10. I can also play things in the i tunes player.
I've tried every internet search I can think of. I keep seeing things about a card. Do I need one of these cards?
Also how can I make it recognize my E drive?
I know nothing about wav files, Aif files, Mpeg. I don't even know what format a regular dvd comes in. :tazz: I'm Clueless. Help!!
Thanx

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it has copy protected content, most programmes will not copy it

GeekLuvR

GeekLuvR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Keith,

You say MOST programs will not copy it. Are there any that will? If so what are they?

Since I last logged on I figured out I had the wrong program. Now I have an idiot proof program called

Magic DVD Rip. You just load your disk into the drive and it does everything for you. Even lets you know how much disk space is needed,and how much you are working with. It's great I love it!!

Thank you so much

Geekluvr :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Of the files you listed, the largest ones will be the video files, usually in GB size

The law says it is legal to copy a DVD you purchase for back up purposes, but illegal to use anything which bypasses copy protection, hence most discs you buy having copy protection on them