Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys BEFW11S4 WLAN Link not active

• Please log in to reply

dembraves

dembraves

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Folks,
I am running Windows XP SP2. I have the aforemetioned Linksys BEFW11S4 access point + router (firmware version 1.44.2z, Dec 13 2002) attached to my DSL modem. I had a laptop and an HP Photosmart 2710 printer wirelessly attached to my network and all was working for as long as I've had each item. I have one desktop and two ReplayTV boxes (wired) still actively connected on the network and to the internet. The incident that may have been the start of trouble was a power failure during a storm, because sometime after the failure, I noticed that the printer stopped working. I tried to re-enter my WEP key and the printer could not find the network, and that's when I noticed that my "WLAN Link" light was off. At the time of the power failure, my APC kicked in until the battery died. The Linksys and modem were allowed to "die" when the battery died, the computer was shut down gracefully while the battery lasted. I have used the web tool to disable and re-enable the wireless broadcast, with and without WEP, cycling through all 11 channels. I restored the factory settings and still cannot broadcast the "linksys" SSID, no WLAN Link light. Running the ipconfig/all command nets the following (note how there's no mention of "wirelss"):

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DIMENSION8200
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-A1-23-1F-62
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx.xx.xxx.xxx (removed for security)
xxx.xx.xxx.xxx (removed for security)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, March 19, 2006 4:23:35 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 20, 2006 4:23:35 PM

For some reason, my laptop (also running XP SP2) tells me that ipconfig is not a recognizable command.
Help is appreciated, bought a wirelsss printer for a reason.

Thanks,
CM (aka dembraves)

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi CM,

(note how there's no mention of "wirelss"):

Is that computer actually meant to be connecting to the Wireless? Because you stated that only the laptop and Printer were wireless devices?

The incident that may have been the start of trouble was a power failure during a storm, because sometime after the failure, I noticed that the printer stopped working.

How long after, would you say? Approximately :tazz: It's very possible that the storm is the cause of this.. Can you get your hands on a temporary wireless router from friends / family, to test if it'll work?

Have you tried a simple powercycle?
  • Power off your computer(s) -- disconnect all ethernet wires, from the computer(s) and also the AP devices.
  • Shutdown / unplug your modem.
  • Shutdown / unplug your router.
  • Wait two minutes.
  • Power on your modem. Wait until the modem is completely restarted before the next step. This may take upward of two minutes.
  • Power on your router. Wait until the router completely restarts. This also can take upward of two minutes.
  • Power on your computer.
Does the WLAN turn on now? Also, if you didn't reset your router to factory defaults following these steps, then try again --
  • Power off your computer(s).
  • Shutdown / unplug your modem.
  • Press / hold down the Reset button located on your router, until the lights start to flash randomly -- wait for the lights to settle before continuing.
  • Shutdown / unplug your router.
  • Wait two minutes.
  • Power on your modem. Wait until the modem is completely restarted before the next step. This may take upward of two minutes.
  • Power on your router. Wait until the router completely restarts. This also can take upward of two minutes.
  • Power on your computer.
Any change?

- Dan

Edited by Dan G, 20 March 2006 - 09:26 PM.

dembraves

dembraves

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Duh! Report WAS from the wired desktop, so of course, no wireless report ! :)
No go on the complete shut down/disconnect/restart method.

ipconfig from the laptop (had to use full path name...another duh!), but I have jumped onto my neighbor's unsecured broadcast, as my unsecured "linksys", factory-reset SSID is not visible and the "WLAN Link" light is still dark.

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Laptop
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel 8255x-based PCI Ethernet Adapter (10/100)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-20-E0-6E-6E-DA

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell TrueMobile 1150 Series Wireless LAN Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-2D-40-0D-B5
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.15
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : xx.xx.xxx.x
xx.xx.xxx.x
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 20, 2006 11:36:25 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 27, 2006 11:36:25 PM

It's hard to tell when the anomaly occured, because I only noticed it the first time after the storm that I tried to use the printer. Power outage was Feb27th, discovered wireless outage March10th.

Anyway, I have a bad feeling that a new AP might be in my future. :tazz:

I'll see if co-workers/friends have a spare AP I can try.

Thanks,
CM

Edited by dembraves, 21 March 2006 - 01:46 AM.

dembraves

dembraves

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Chalk it up to fried AP! Bought a new WRT54G and all is well. :whistling: Old AP can still be used as wired network extender, so all is not lost. Thanks for the assistance, but I think the old AP won't get its wireless mo-jo back ever again.
CM

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
That's what I was afraid of :whistling: Thanks for letting us know, though.